Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Danvise, has anyone used it?

I've been looking at this vise for some time now and I always change my mind. I'm not sure why I cant get over the plastic thing. I have reels made of Delrin and I've abused the life out of them without damaging them. Has anyone used one? How is the jaw strength?
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Danvise, has anyone used it?

The Danvise was my intro to rotary several years ago. I didn't get 6 months out of it and the plastic broke and I replaced it with an Anvil Apex which I have tied successfully on for the past five years or so. Just my experience, but I don't trust ever going back to one. I am looking seriously at the Peak rotary, and will probably pull the trigger at one of this year's tying expos.

Kelly
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

I have the Peak and though have just begun tying flies I can find no fault or issues with the design to cause me grief.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

I know someone who used one for a year or so and it broke. Meanwhile my Renzetti has been tying for 5 years now, and his Dyna-King has been tying for 4 years since he threw the Dan-Vise out the window. He found a couple of bad reviews before he purchased it but he decided to give it a try because he wasn't ready to spend the $250 on the Dyna yet. Now he wishes he would have never messed with the Dan-Vise.

I tied on my Danvise tonight. It's now my travel vise. After a number of years no issues. Not totally true. I'm on my second set of jaws. The jaw torque is so much stronger than most that it's not too difficult to dent the jaws. The jaws are metal. At home I've got a higher end pedestal vise, and there is not that much difference tying on the two.

Over ten years of flawless use with mine.

Other grass has looked greener, but not enough to replace the thing yet.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    I tied on my Danvise tonight. It's now my travel vise. After a number of years no issues. Not totally true. I'm on my second set of jaws. The jaw torque is so much stronger than most that it's not too difficult to dent the jaws. The jaws are metal. At home I've got a higher end pedestal vise, and there is not that much difference tying on the two.
    What Jimmie said. The jaws dent really easily. I now use two sets of jaws. My old, dented ones for large flies (streamers) and my new set for smaller flies.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    Over ten years of flawless use with mine.

Other grass has looked greener, but not enough to replace the thing yet.
    Not that long, but soooo far so good.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    I know someone who used one for a year or so and it broke. Meanwhile my Renzetti has been tying for 5 years now, and his Dyna-King has been tying for 4 years since he threw the Dan-Vise out the window. He found a couple of bad reviews before he purchased it but he decided to give it a try because he wasn't ready to spend the $250 on the Dyna yet. Now he wishes he would have never messed with the Dan-Vise.
    So, $80 for a DanVise and 3X+ that for the Dyna-King? What a deal
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Blog Entries

Hi Swirl,
    You will read positives and negatives about the Danvise. The best thing for you to do is to go to a shop and tie on a few of their vises. The one that meets your needs the best is the one you should be tying on.

MP