Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default LaFontaine's Twist Nymph

I have been doing some reading and read an interview with Gary LaFontaine where he discusses his Bead Head Twist Nymph. I am really intrigued by his thoughts regarding colors and light patterns. It sounded interesting so I googled the pattern and it has definitely peaked my interest. I am thinking that it not only would work on trout, but could work as a warmwater pattern for sunfish and small bass. Does anyone have any experience with this pattern? Is this pattern available commercially?

Default Re: LaFontaine's Twist Nymph

Gary's mail-order shop still operates- http://www.thebookmailer.com/Flies/N...twstnymph.html

I've never tied them to Gary's specifications because it sounds a bit like a PITA, but generally trust Gary's advice on flies to be right on.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Default Re: LaFontaine's Twist Nymph

I was gonna write that there's no way a Lafontaine twist nymph would work as designed with a bead head... so I thought I'd better look it up before I stuck foot-in-mouth.

The nymphs I saw were nothing like the ones from Gary's book Trout Flies.
    The original... the one from the book, works great.
    When used with a loop knot, it flips over when stripped to trigger a strike.
    I have no idea how the 'new version' works or why Gary's pattern was changed.
    Doesn't seem right to me
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart