what's a good vintage rod

PAwilds

Reaction score
I'd like to buy a vintage fiberglass fly rod. I'm also cheap, so I don't want to pay over $50 for one. I see there are a lot of choices out there and wanted to know if any brand or models stand out. It will be used for small Pennsylvania mountain streams when I get back from Iraq. Thanks a lot.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I may ask, what unit are you with? My son is with the 82nd AB. He is planning on returning for his second tour in the next 7 months..

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great unit! God speed to you. I am sure we can find you something in the way of a rod. Steve (the full creel) might know where to find you a kickin rod..

TNFishnStix

Reaction score
CURAHEE!!

Thank you for serving our country and for what you represent. Screamin' Eagles for ever!!

You may want to visit the Fiberglass forum on EZBOARD. There are always good deals on there for fiberglass and vintage glass rods. Take a good look at the Fenwick Feralite rods, they are great to fish with and won't cost you an arm and a leg. Phillipson made some good fiberglass rods as well, and some of the post WWII Wright McGills are great as well. These rods all represent a part of the heritage of fly fishing and hold fond memories in lots of minds and hearts of fly fishermen everwhere.

http://p097.ezboard.com/bfiberglassflyrodders

(as a matter of fact, there are a couple of rodbuilders in your state that also hold the hertiage of fiberglass flyrods highly. Mike McFarland, IMHO, makes someof the best fiberglass rods I have seen. I have 2 of his Spruce Creek models and love them dearly) I do have one old Phillipson here that is a 5 wt. 7 or 7 1/2 footer, that is a great old rod, and I never fish it. I will try to find it this week.....it's yours!! has your name written all over it. Just let me know where to send it! Thanks again for putting it all on the line in the name of freedom and for what you give our country!

Curtis

Reaction score
I have a great Cortland glass rod that is almost in mint condition I would be willing to part with. Eight foot for 5/6 line. If your interested, make me an offer.

mojo

Reaction score
Curtis said:
I have a great Cortland glass rod that is almost in mint condition I would be willing to part with. Eight foot for 5/6 line. If your interested, make me an offer.
You call that vintage?
Don't forget Steffan Bros if you want to spend more scratch. Steffan or McFarland you can't go wrong. Lot's lighter then the old 'glass.

Curtis

Reaction score
Absolutely. The old Cortland glass is sweet.

And if you can score this guy a steffen for the $50 he says he is willing to spend, sign me up for about fifty of them. :)

Joni

Reaction score
And if you can score this guy a steffen for the $50 he says he is willing to spend, sign me up for about fifty of them.

Make that diddo for me :icon_lol:

BigCliff

Reaction score
Well Mike, though your ticker might need some renovation, its good to know that your smart a$$ is going as strong as ever.

I still need to find me a good feralite muhself, someday...

Curtis

Reaction score
fshfanatic said:
He never said he could get them for $50. Reading comprehension is your friend. ;)
I am surprised you could read it in the first place. Get a little help with the bigger words? :)

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Curtis said:
I am surprised you could read it in the first place. Get a little help with the bigger words? :)
I didnt notice any big words in his post. However, I am suprized you knew what I was talking about. Or, did you visit www.dictionary.com first?

Curtis

Reaction score
fshfanatic said:
I didnt notice any big words in his post. However, I am suprized you knew what I was talking about. Or, did you visit www.dictionary.com first?
How many tries did it take for you to get the word "dictionary" spelled correctly?