nymphing in a lake, how deep is too deep?

ssjchar

Reaction score
I just ordered a fly fishing kit from a local fly fishing store here, so in about a week, i will officially be getting into fly fishing. Up to this point in my life, i've pretty much done shore fishing exclusively with a spin cast reel in lakes. There are rivers here, but i would still like to fish the lakes when fly fishing. the waters seem to go pretty deep, probably in the range of 25-35 feet. I'm wondering how deep is too deep when using a nymph when fly fishing? many areas drop off pretty quickly, but some other areas are much more gradual. Ive been told by my brother and dad that they do see alot of fish jumping towards dusk and can visually see alot of the rainbow trout close to the surface, so perhaps i don't even need to use nymphs depending on the time of the day? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
ssjchar: When I fish the local lakes I tend to target the 7-15 ft depths when fishing sub-surface. I tend to fish a lot of chironomid patterns, but you want to keep a good eye on the surface and any bird activity. If the fish are looking up and feeding on top then you need to change to a dry or emerger pattern or a combo. What I would highly recommend for someone just starting out is to ask questions at your local fly shop on the best way to fish your lake at a certain time of year. Also ask them about local fly fishing clubs or maybe a Trout Unlimited Chapter in your area. Lacking all of that I would hire a guide for a day to show you how he fishes the local water. You will find that getting someone more experienced will cut your learning curve drastically. If you tell us the area you live in maybe someone on the forum can provide more specific advice about how to fish your area.

Larry

ssjchar

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the tips.
I'm located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, so i dont think too many people on the board will be familiar with the area. There is a local fly fishing club along with a fishing forum so i'll try asking around there. I believe the place i'm getting my kit makes flies too, so he probably knows whats good for the local fish.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the tips.
I'm located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, so i dont think too many people on the board will be familiar with the area. There is a local fly fishing club along with a fishing forum so i'll try asking around there. I believe the place i'm getting my kit makes flies too, so he probably knows whats good for the local fish.
Your local fishing club will be the ticket! Ask around and let them know you are new to fly fishing and you will be surprised aat the help you can get. There is nothing like having a real person by your side watching your casting and having the inside scope on how to fish your local area.

Larry

mojo

Reaction score
FG and I deep nymph down to 30'-35'. Just once I'd like to nymph a lake that's only 7'-15' deep.

Plus you have Phil Rowley and Brian Chan up that way. Google them up.

ssjchar

Reaction score
ya I was reading one of his articles at work before i left. it sure had a lot of information in it. I hope youtube have some good instructional videos for fly fishing and theory

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
I fish Alberta and you will find me on the Sask Board as well. Typically I start deep and bring the nymph up 12 to 18 inches every 20 minutes or so until I get into fish. The last two lakes I fished were 8 to 10 feet deep and we caught fish on almost every cast with the nymph 18" below the indicator.
If you are fishing chironomids it is a little different ball game.

michaeln

Reaction score
The last two lakes I fished were 8 to 10 feet deep and we caught fish on almost every cast with the nymph 18" below the indicator.
Do you mean there was 18" of tippet between the indicator and the nymph? In that case the nymph was probably much closer to the surface than 18".

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
Light tippet and fairly heavy beadhead nymph with no wind. When I dropped it where I could check on the sink rate it was pretty straight down. If I was using an unweighted nymph you would be right.

Joni

Reaction score
Well, most my fly lines are 90' long so I think I would draw the DEPTH line at .....maybe 75' LOL
I have caught some monsters in 50'. It depends on the lake. If fish want to move deep, they will go for it and if that is 60' or 15'.
If you check my blog, I demonstrate the slip indicators and in my store I sell them.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi ssjchar,

I don't think 30'-35' is too deep. You should listen to Joni. She knows how to do it.

I think one tool you need if you are serious bout deep water fishing is a depth finder. It will eliminate a lot of exploratory fishing. You can see the fish and know how deep they are.

Frank

ssjchar

Reaction score
k thanks for all the tips. I'll keep them in mind when i go out for the first time. hopefully it'll be next weekend. I should be getting my flyfishing outfit on tuesday, which is also my birthday, and to make things even better, i have friday off too. I checked some depth charts for one of the lakes i fish at, and the area i'm usually in is around 15 feet deep, so not nearly as deep as i had thought. the other place i fish it though, the depth chart you have to buy, but i dont think it'll be too deep either. either or, thanks for the tips and i hope i'll make good use of them.