Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Looking for some Input

Default Looking for some Input

Hi all, I,m looking for some in put on a new rod. In the market for a new 5wt. fast action rod looking at Cabela's site and there was a Temple Fork Outfitters / Lefty Kreh TiCr X fly rod 9 feet long 4 piece fast action rod for $224.00 that's about the limit that I wanted to spend. I have a St. Croix Legend Ultra 9 feet in a 7wt. and love it but that's a $100 more then the TFO. So here is my problem I know nothing about the TFO line of rods,can any one with knowledge of this rod give some feed back or if someone can compare the two that wound be great. I will be using it mostly for pan fish. The Cabela,s in PA the closest to my house 2 1/2 hr drive one way don't have the TFO in stock so I can not try them side by side so I will have to depend on some honest input from the fly guys.
    Thanks
    Mike aka Bass-man

Default Re: Looking for some Input

My first rod was a TFO 5wt. I still use it. One winter I broke a guide off while trying to remove ice. They replaced it for $25 no questions asked. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Rory

Blog Entries

My buddy has one of those in an 8wt; very nice rod. I think that I would put it between mod fast and fast, in my opinion.

Did you look at Bass Pro Shops? There is one in Harrisburg, about 3 miles off of the 283 exit from the PA Turnpike. Their fly shop isn't as extensive as the Cabela's in Hamburg, but time wise they might be about the same if your coming from Jersey.
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

Ant I went there first before calling Hamburg they did not carry either rod inhouse,soin your opinion it is not a ture fast action?

I have a 6wt Ticrx that I have enjoyed a lot. For bass fishing you might look at the TFO BVK in the same price range. It is a bit lighter, and for bass I am sure it would give you the distance you want and the lighter weight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bass_man View Post
    Ant I went there first before calling Hamburg they did not carry either rod inhouse,soin your opinion it is not a ture fast action?
    It's a faster action rod, just not as fast as some that I've cast. It was faster than the Cabela's Three Fork rod that I had with on the trip, and the Cabela's is considered a mod-fast rod.

If you do decide to get it and find that it's not quite fast enough, you could always underline it with a 4wt line.
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

I have 8 TFO's and counting. The TiCr X is a great rod but if your looking for a fast action rod the TiCr (black blank) is actually faster than the X. The TiCrX has a special coating that is supposed to give it more backbone and mor durability. The TiCr is bare graphite and throws like Nolan Ryan...
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

8. Default Re: Looking for some Input

You could try calling Jim Bender at: The Lower Forty - Central New England's largest flyfishing specialty shop.

I don't have any experience with Lower Forty, but I have read only positive things about his service. More importantly, he has a number of TFO Rep Demo models in 5 wt. You might save a few dollars if you are set on a TFO.

Can't give you advice from experience but based on a trusted friend, who has spent a long time at this fly fishing, and lives in fly fishing heaven you can't beat the TFO's for value and a great rod. My only pick at the TFOs is they aren't USA made but in fairness neither are several rods that are stuck here and there around the house and they all work just fine. He does fish both fresh and salt and has at least two dozen fully rigged rods hung in almost every room ranging from the highest dollar rods to a number of TFOs and Dorbers on the value end of the rod spectrum. Good luck on sorting this out but if at all possible try before you buy!
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
    Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/