Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: fast action vs. mod. fast?

....... that must be me
    I overline many of my rods, especially the ones used in the surf. And very often by two sizes
    I also prefer slow to medium action fiberglass in fresh water and never felt the need to use anything else
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

There are a few that were designed with the sole purpose of being the fastest rod on the planet, and they get terrible review from everyone because of it. They are almost always fished better with a line-up, because you can't feel jack---- when you try to cast a dry or swing a small wet and try to sense the rod. I used a TICRX 5 wt for a season and sold it; It was uselsess for dry fly fishing unless you had to cast it 60 feet, then it was a pleasure. I bought it because I wanted a fast rod for streamers (and because I thought that faster meant better). I could cast it, but there was no feeling it load, or presenting delicately was difficult for me. I learnt' my lesson. But, with the exception of the small group of "the fastest on the planet" rods, there are many rods that are md fast and fast that I think cast wonderfully. BIIX for one.

3. Default Re: fast action vs. mod. fast?

ausable, you just helped me immensely. thanks.

No Rip, it wasn't you.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    There are a few that were designed with the sole purpose of being the fastest rod on the planet, and they get terrible review from everyone because of it. They are almost always fished better with a line-up, because you can't feel jack---- when you try to cast a dry or swing a small wet and try to sense the rod. I used a TICRX 5 wt for a season and sold it; It was uselsess for dry fly fishing unless you had to cast it 60 feet, then it was a pleasure. I bought it because I wanted a fast rod for streamers (and because I thought that faster meant better). I could cast it, but there was no feeling it load, or presenting delicately was difficult for me. I learnt' my lesson. But, with the exception of the small group of "the fastest on the planet" rods, there are many rods that are md fast and fast that I think cast wonderfully. BIIX for one.
    I agree, But you can't swing a broad sword(or rod). I have a TICRX in a 9WT which I use in the surf. I love this rod because the fast action suits the purpose. Long, double haul casts, fighting the wind, with big heavy flies and an int/sinking line.
    For the life of me I can't figure out an application where I would need a 5WT with that type of fast action. I agree that the fastest 5WT on the planet may have little use, but I use the fasted 9WT on the planet 3X's a week.
    The final outcome, fish with friends and "borrow" rods as often as possible.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

I definitely prefer a med/fast rod. I cant stand telephone poles and dont have much love for noodles either. Give me a good smooth casting rod with some feel

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    I agree, But you can't swing a broad sword(or rod). I have a TICRX in a 9WT which I use in the surf. I love this rod because the fast action suits the purpose. Long, double haul casts, fighting the wind, with big heavy flies and an int/sinking line.
    For the life of me I can't figure out an application where I would need a 5WT with that type of fast action. I agree that the fastest 5WT on the planet may have little use, but I use the fasted 9WT on the planet 3X's a week.
    The final outcome, fish with friends and "borrow" rods as often as possible.
    Sorry, my generalization was concerning trout rods and was aimed at my experience casting the TicRX and some other "too fast" rods in 5 wt. Think he was asking about trout rods, 4-6 wt. I felt that I could have rigged up and swung giant flies, in the surf, on sinking line, through a hurricane with that 5 wt!!! Conversely, it felt like a chore even to cast large dries, like hoppers and stimulators. My fly shop here is an eCHO dealer and he had one of those Echo Max Distance rods out on the pond one day...I'll just say it was a max distance rod...which in a trout rod means minimum fishability IMO.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
    I definitely prefer a med/fast rod. I cant stand telephone poles and dont have much love for noodles either. Give me a good smooth casting rod with some feel
    I second that; No Noodles, they frustrate me. I cast an old Sage DS and that felt awfully noodly to me. It would have taken me some time to get in tune with that rod.

Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    Sorry, my generalization was concerning trout rods and was aimed at my experience casting the TicRX and some other "too fast" rods in 5 wt. Think he was asking about trout rods, 4-6 wt. I felt that I could have rigged up and swung giant flies, in the surf, on sinking line, through a hurricane with that 5 wt!!! Conversely, it felt like a chore even to cast large dries, like hoppers and stimulators. My fly shop here is an eCHO dealer and he had one of those Echo Max Distance rods out on the pond one day...I'll just say it was a max distance rod...which in a trout rod means minimum fishability IMO.
    I agree, all my 3 and 4WT rods are medium. 5WT med and med/fast. The max distance is just that. Getting big flies out to fish in tough conditions. Doesn't apply to trout fishing at all. It's all marketing.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I have a whole bunch of rods. Some are fast, some are mod. fast. Some days I will fish more than one rod. It takes a few casts and I'm good to go with the new rod. The thing with my rods is, they are all pretty much different weights, and different lines, so I'm not to sure how much of an overall effect the difference between fast and mod. fast has on my casting. I'm not sure there is any.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12