What should i ask for these two rods

db cooper

Reaction score
I am getting out of the St. Croix graphite buisiness completly and want to sell off my last two rods. Only problem is that i have no idea what to ask for them.

The first is a St. Croix Legend Ultra 5 peice 6 weight 98%

The second is a St. Croix Reign 4 peice 6 weight again 98%
Both have cases

What would be fair asking prices for them? Ill probly list them on the bay or in the classifieds.

Last edited:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I hate to say it but you probably won't get what they are worth on e bay. I watched a Meiser Spey rod that looked like it never been handled without white gloves, go for a price at least $250.oo low. It is a great place to buy, but not so much to sell. To top it off, if you list something and it does not sell, you still owe e-bay money for listing it. I'd list them in the personals here before I did e bay. I in fact, may never sell anything on e bay again.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
good advice...i apreciate it. Any idea what a fair price to ask would be?

Hi db,
It's hard to say what their worth without knowing how old they are and what condition their in.
I would take some good pics of the handles, the reel seats, some of the guide wraps, and a few of the rod sections laid side by side along with a good description of each rod and list them here in the "Classifieds".

Good Luck.:)

P.S. Why are you getting away from graphite?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
db cooper: I thought you suddenly fell into a big sum of money a few years back! What the heck are you selling your fly rods for, I thought you were dead?:D

Larry

db cooper

Reaction score
Hi db,
It's hard to say what their worth without knowing how old they are and what condition their in.
I would take some good pics of the handles, the reel seats, some of the guide wraps, and a few of the rod sections laid side by side along with a good description of each rod and list them here in the "Classifieds".

Good Luck.:)

P.S. Why are you getting away from graphite?
Ill get some pictures posted when i can. Both rods were fished 2 or 3 times and are in great shape. The Legend ultra is the latest version and i purchased the Reign as a backup two years ago. I have not fished graphite in a while as i made the switch over to glass a few years back.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I never had either of those rods but had a little used Legend Ultra 7' 3 weight (300 new) and sold it for 200. if they are in like new condition and not too old you should be able to get 60% of retail if someone is looking for those particular rods.

Getting out of graphite, what are you going to use?

Ard

db cooper

Reaction score
I've always been a glassman, but i tried to dabble in graphite. Just didnt work out to well for me. Ill stick with glass...after all...shes the girl that brung me.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I am getting out of the graphite buisiness completly and want to sell off my last two rods. Only problem is that i have no idea what to ask for them.

The first is a St. Croix Legend Ultra 5 peice 6 weight 98%

The second is a St. Croix Reign 4 peice 6 weight again 98%
Both have cases

What would be fair asking prices for them? Ill probly list them on the bay or in the classifieds.
If this is the newer Ultra (u906-5) you can expect 150-200 if it is in 98% condition on e-bay; I just watched a few of them sell, if it is the older edition it will be considerably less than that. The older models have sold on e-bay for a little over 100. I havn't seen any 5 pc, these were 4 pc that I watched.

I have no idea about the reign...but generally speaking Ard is right about second hand sales, expect 60%, maybe. If you have used rod in excellent shape you can easily get 50% of new, but trying to get 70% of new might not happen on e-bay. Many people are there not so shop for something, but to shop for a deal.

db cooper

Reaction score
I ended up finding some nice graphite rods that i can live with for now. Im not like a retro glass junkie its just that most of the modern graphite rods are so fast i cant enjoy fishing them. I have found some rods recently though that have been working beautifully. Nice and soft but with a little back bone to boot. They are the Ross FS, TFO Finesse, and Redington CT. So far im verry happy!!!

chuck s

Reaction score
Check E bay for the Completed listings and they'll tell you exactly what they are going for as there are any number of those two models selling.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I ended up finding some nice graphite rods that i can live with for now. Im not like a retro glass junkie its just that most of the modern graphite rods are so fast i cant enjoy fishing them. I have found some rods recently though that have been working beautifully. Nice and soft but with a little back bone to boot. They are the Ross FS, TFO Finesse, and Redington CT. So far im verry happy!!!
Glad to hear it...I am a huge fan of the Finesse rods, and I have a CT on the way. I won it on E-Bay for $70 plus shipping; brand new!!!

I have fished my way through the Finesse series with the exception of the 2 and the 6 weights. I really like the 4's and 5's. Which Finess and CT do you have? How does the CT compare to the Finesse?

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

My buddy pretty much gave me his 7'9" 4 wt...he only owned 6-8 wt fast action bass rods before gettin it. He couldn't cast it to save his life! Oh well, more fish for me.