Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Amnesia

Default Amnesia

For those of you that do what I do and put a short piece of Amnesia at the end of your fly line to attach the leader, do you replace the Amnesia every year?

Most of us replace our tippet material, usually mono, yearly. Since Amnesia is mono, shouldn't it be replaced?

Just sitting over here wondering quietly to myself.

Thanx.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

Default Re: Amnesia

The heavy mono is not likely to deteriorate much, but because you have it nail knotted on your line is why it's important to change it.
    The nail knot stresses the line coating to the point where the knot can fail and at the very least a new knot will help the keep the line core drier and floating better.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Hi axle27,

After I nail knot the Amnesia I cover the knot and fly line with Plio-Bond, knot sense or epoxy. I have some that have been on for several years with no failure. Now if you are fishing saltwater I would be more conscientious about changing it.

Frank

Blog Entries

I do what both Paul & Frank do, that is that I take a look before I try to hook a king and I have began covering the knot with cement.

I'm covered on this one

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Gosh, I forget

I am kind of curious how many people use amnesia on the end of the fly line? Since most new lines come with a loop I usually just use it.

With enough use the built in loops tend to get cuts from either stream debris or the line its self. As to the amnesia question...no i dont change it every year...usialy go every three or so. I glue my nail knot as well

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Amnesia

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    The heavy mono is not likely to deteriorate much, but because you have it nail knotted on your line is why it's important to change it.
    The nail knot stresses the line coating to the point where the knot can fail and at the very least a new knot will help the keep the line core drier and floating better.
    +1

What he said.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"