a fly for weeds/reeds?

ssjchar

Reaction score
Me and my brother were fishing out of our inflatable boat last week, and we found this area that seems to have a good number of fish (people using pickeral rigs had good luck, and i saw a good sized trout swim by), but it had tall weeds all over, it was like an underwater forest. Is there a way to make a nymph that i would not get hooked on the weeds? have some sort of cover close to the hook so i won't get caught?

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score

here are special hooks but I'm not sure you can tie flies with them but you can fix a little bit of thick nylon near the eye of your nymph in the same way.
hope it can help;)

ssjchar

Reaction score
ya something like that would work. maybe i can tie some highish test mono in a loop, something light but not too light. wish it wasn't so cold now, i really don't feel like testing and tying loops on the water when i can barely feel my fingers.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
You might want to try to adapt some bonefish type flies to match the nymphs you'd like to imitate.
Take for example the 'snapping shrimp'

They're tied hook point up like a Clouser deep minnow, but it's not dumbbell eyes that cause them to fish point-up, it's the wing
The wing on these flies also protects the hook point just like a weed guard
You'd need to use a fairly stiff but thin material for the wing... elk hock or deer mask maybe.
If you want weighted, you could add a few strips of lead to the top of the hook shank

BigCliff

Reaction score
Weedless nymphs will be hard to find, but I wouldn't worry about it. Any trout big enough to get excited about are plenty used to eating minnnows as well.

Bendback style flies would work well-

Or other streamers that have both the hook point up and covered would be good-

There's lots of bass flies with weedguards that would work well also-

jimw

Reaction score
Hey Cliff
You just inspired me to ty up a few bend backs. Nice looking flies.

Thanks
Jim

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Weedless nymphs will be hard to find, but I wouldn't worry about it. Any trout big enough to get excited about are plenty used to eating minnnows as well.

Bendback style flies would work well-

Or other streamers that have both the hook point up and covered would be good-

There's lots of bass flies with weedguards that would work well also-
Cliff beat me to my answer.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Weedless Streamers

Can I put a weed guard on a pre-tied (store bought) streamer?

I'd like to fish weedless woolly buggers but I can't find any.

Randy

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Randy,

I haven't done this in a long time but I will see if I can remember how I use to do it.

You can add a double wire weed guard to a pre-tied Woolly Bugger. The problem is your head will end up being bulky. You have to tie in the wire and super glue it. With an existing head it can get large.

You can buy Metz Stainless Steel Weed Guards that work well. The are already bent into a loop that goes behind the hook eye. Here is how I would do it.

1. Slide the guard over the hook directly behind the hook eye.

2. Tie in the guard using a criss-cross underneath and over the hook and guard.

3. Add a drop of Superglue to the tie making sure you include the hook, thread and guard in the glue.

4. Once the glue is dry take needle nose pliers and bend the two weed gards back towards the hook point. Separate the two wires so they form a V over the hook point.

Normally the weed guard is bent into proper sharp before it is tied in but it may be harder to do with the fly already finish.

Here is an alternative way to bend the weed guard if you have flat jawed pliers. This works best when tying a new fly.

1. Grasp the weed guard at the loop about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch down with the pliers. Make sure the bottom of the pliers jaw is at a right angle to the weed guard. Now make a 90 degree bend in the weed guard. What you will have is the weed guard with a small loop that lays over the top of the hook just behind the hook eye. The weed guard will be sticking back parallel with the hook shank. This gives you a better way to tie in the weed guard with the wires being parallel with the hook shank.

2. Tie in the weed guard and Superglue.

3. After the glue drys bend the weed guard down at an angle forming the V over the hook point. You should hold the weed guard with the pliers at the tie in point as you bend the wires down and back. This keeps you from breaking the glue joint.

This may give you some ideas of your own.

Frank

Metz Stainless Steel Weed Guards

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Frank,
Thanks so much. I sort of surprised that weedless flies don't seem to be sold anywhere.
Randy

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I couldn't find the dealer where I got the picture. They are distributed by Umpqua so your dealer can order them. There are 10 to a pack and I think less than $2. Jann's Netcraft sells stainless wire and you might find something you can use there. It is intended for making spinners and it may be a little too heavy.

The picture from Umpqua has a preset bend in the wire. I don't remember that being there but who knows. You could straighten them and re-bend if it doesn't fit your hook.

Frank

Metz Weed Guards from Umpqua

Shane Stroud

Reaction score
Being a cheapskate, I don't go for the fancy hooks or attachments. But I tie weed guards on my large buggers and poppers because big bass like to live in bad cover. I use 30# fluorocarbon (about 5 bucks for a 300 yard spool at the flea market) to make them and they work great. There are lots of videos on the net that can show you exactly how to do it.

I have added a fluorocarbon weed guard to a store bought bugger, but it was a pain. I had to put it in the vise backwards, pull the marabou back, and make it work from there. As painful as it was, it worked great.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I tie in 20 or 30 lb mono for guards. i start the thread, cut a length of mono, tie it in and go down the bend slightly with it then leave it. tie the rest of the fly, when all said and done, bring it up to the eye and tie it in, cut off excess.

JoJer

Reaction score
Some of my weed guards are made with old metal guitar strings. The thinner unwrapped strings. They also make dandy bobbin threaders.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I tie in 20 or 30 lb mono for guards. i start the thread, cut a length of mono, tie it in and go down the bend slightly with it then leave it. tie the rest of the fly, when all said and done, bring it up to the eye and tie it in, cut off excess.
I tie mine this way as well, aka the "post weedguard". One important detail is to lash the mono to the point side of the hook shank.

Compared to the looped style How to tie the Beadchain Seaducer w/ Double Loop Weedguard @ Saltyshores.com , its so much easier to just be able to leave the mono sticking out over the hook eye, and then position it as you're finishing off the fly.

One trick that can help is to flatten a section of the mono with a smooth jawed plier to help it bend more easily.