Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: For those of you that FURL .. another question

Default For those of you that FURL .. another question

Hi to all,

I read a comment (take with a grain of salt ?) that FURLED leaders have a tendency to "spray" when cast .. is this a concern? Methinks that this is just a "product" of construction over the tapered mono lines you buy in the store. Also to be associated with hand tied knotted leaders ? Is this a problem when fishing ???

Am I "overthinking" this whole thing ? Try a Furled and decide on my own is the best approach ?

Gordon in NC
    If you are going to try cross-country skiing ... start with a small country.

2. Default Re: For those of you that FURL .. another question

eh...i haven't fished dry flies with them, only streamers and nymphs. Between multiple objects hitting the water, i'm not really concerned, and haven't personally seen a noticeable "spray" of water coming off..

i think they are so much better than conventional leaders. feather-craft has a nice selection, though you can make them or find them cheaper

Default Re: For those of you that FURL .. another question

I don't notice a whole lot of spray. I don't notice really any spray. Years ago when I used braided leaders, that's where I saw spray when lifting the line off the water. A lot of people mistake braided leaders for furled leaders. Apples & oranges.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

4. Default Re: For those of you that FURL .. another question

I've only been fishing a furled leader about three times, but I experienced no noticeable spray. However, I was told that some brands tend to spray more than others. An easy solution is just false casting in another direction. Spray will go there, then you won't have an issue regardless.

I have fished with both braided and furled leaders for the last 5 years or so . In fact I bought some from Joni on here and I am still using them till this day and they are great leaders.

Both styles of leaders spray, if you are nymph or wet fly fishing with them this doesn't matter. But for dry fly fishing it can put fish down, so in order to limit the spray just apply a thin coat of gink this helps alleviate the problem and keeps your leader a float.
    http://burntdrags.blogspot.com/

Allen Landheer
    Fly fishing is not for everyone..
    -Fly fishing since 1971-

All furled leaders will have some sort of spray and that depends on your fishing techniques also. How fast are you lifting your line off the water, are you roll casting...etc.... I have been fishing with furled leaders for several years now and I also make all my own. For dry flies I use 6/0 Uni-Thread and for wet flies I use Vanish transition fluorocarbon (gold). I have never taking the time to really look at the amount of spray but next trip out I will perform a little test using the two kinds I make just to see how noticeable it really is.
    Popperfly >-<(((((*>

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I don't notice a whole lot of spray. I don't notice really any spray. Years ago when I used braided leaders, that's where I saw spray when lifting the line off the water. A lot of people mistake braided leaders for furled leaders. Apples & oranges.
    +1

I have been fishing furled leaders for several years:

Braided - spray ; furled - little spray (basically not noticable) ; twisted - more spray than furled, less than braided

For ****'s and gigles I made a twisted out of 15lbs about a week ago (I know it's overkill but I had it on a reel for salmon off the pier here) and the tarzan vine really didn't spray much. Even false casting I didn't see/feel anything really. I'm sure there was some but it seems almost negatible. I suppose dry would be considerably different but I felt like the benefits far out weighed any of the draw backs that I could see or feel. Just my .02 though

Fish one for a day both dry and wet and see if you like how it works for you, even a bad day fishing is still a good day right?
    -shawn

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'