Pulling the trigger on boots (help)

Chukwithak

Reaction score
Ladies and gents, I've pulled the trigger on an order of the Simms Rivershed boots, but am 2nd guessing my self as to why i shouldnt spend the extra 40$ on the G4 Guide's. Can any one REALLY lay out the differences for me? Also I've been told that the weights listed on the Simms website are incorrect and the the G4's are quite a bit heavier than the Riversheds, can anyone confirm this? I MAY pack these boots in, but I'm a pretty strong and willed kid (28) so I'm not to worried about the weight if it's not an extreme difference.

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
I have, I think, the Riversheds. The $140. pair. They ARE a good bit lighter. I'm perfectly happy with mine & see no reason to spend the extra.

jcw355

Reaction score
I can't give you a comparison but will say no more walking that I do I like my G4's. Might have walked a mile yesterday in them. I bought them because they looked well built and so far they haven't fallen apart like my first pair of wading boots. I've had them for over a year. I don't think you made a bad choice on what you picked.

Bigfly

Reaction score
The G4s are a bit heavier. The calorie burn is approximately 1 lb on your feet = 5 on your back. Remember, dark colors are warmer too.
For what it's worth. I've been pounding on a pair of Simms freestones for a few years now, and provide them for clients. They have fewer seams exposed and hold up quite well. Save a little money too.
I should add, the secret is to coat the threads you do see, with aqua seal.
The threads can't chafe.

Jim

Tracker12

Reaction score
I agonized over a new pair of boots after my Orvis cheep-o ones came apart. Since the Orvis shop gave me a full refund after wearing them for 3 years I felt obligated to buy Orvis again. Picked up the Rivergard Ultalights. Seem nice but I have not had them of the stream yet.