Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

  1. Default Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

    Hey guys,

    I've been reading up on the various methods of putting a loop on your fly line so that it is easier to change leaders. I've also noticed that some fly lines come with pre-built loops. Finally, I read up on using braided loops to put a loop on your fly line.

    So I hope this doesn't come off as a stupid question.... Why cant you just tie a perfection loop to the end of your fly line? Am I overthinking this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,246
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

    You can, first nail knot a butt section to your line, say .21" or so, then put the perfection loop in the butt.

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  3. Default Re: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

    Actually that wasn't what I meant What I wonder is why I just can't tie the perfection loop directly from the fly line and not have to use mono or anything else at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    You can, first nail knot a butt section to your line, say .21" or so, then put the perfection loop in the butt.

  4. Default Re: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

    Quote Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
    Hey guys,

    I've been reading up on the various methods of putting a loop on your fly line so that it is easier to change leaders. I've also noticed that some fly lines come with pre-built loops. Finally, I read up on using braided loops to put a loop on your fly line.

    So I hope this doesn't come off as a stupid question.... Why cant you just tie a perfection loop to the end of your fly line? Am I overthinking this?
    Whip a loop on to your line.
    This is what I have done for the past year or so and it has yet to fail on me. I fish for large mouth and striper here in texas, and this connection has taken quite a bit of abuse. Fish have gotten my line hung up in all sorts of stumps and rocks as well as other various things and it looks the same as the day I whipped the loop into the line.
    Go here...
    http://barflyfish.com/article_whippi...n_fly_line.htm

    ---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------


    Yes you can use a perfection loop if you want to, you can do anything you want. It might work out for you, it is just not how most folks go about putting a loop in the fly line.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,246
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

    Quote Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
    Actually that wasn't what I meant What I wonder is why I just can't tie the perfection loop directly from the fly line and not have to use mono or anything else at all?
    If fishing for trout it is nice to avoid anything large at the line leader connection. Whatever you decide to do make sure it is not going to get hung up in the snake guides if you reel or strip it in past the tip top and then want to cast again.

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  6. Default Re: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

    This one looks like a winner!

    Does it need superglue for the knot?

    I want to avoid using any method that requires glue, flame, or anything else besides my fly line and some heavy mono.

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by K.Gro View Post
    Whip a loop on to your line.
    This is what I have done for the past year or so and it has yet to fail on me. I fish for large mouth and striper here in texas, and this connection has taken quite a bit of abuse. Fish have gotten my line hung up in all sorts of stumps and rocks as well as other various things and it looks the same as the day I whipped the loop into the line.
    Go here...
    http://barflyfish.com/article_whippi...n_fly_line.htm

    ---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------


    Yes you can use a perfection loop if you want to, you can do anything you want. It might work out for you, it is just not how most folks go about putting a loop in the fly line.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

    I wrap my loop with fly tying thread and then rub a bit of Knot sealer. It's never failed me. I've not tried using mono to wrap the loop. I would be worried the mono cutting into the line and it loosing it's waterproofing.

    I have tried just about everything mentioned in previous post...I would not recommend the braided loops. I also have used a nail knot to attach a short length of amnesia line and then make my loop. That works well too. I like the amnesia as it is red and makes it easier to see the end of your line, for old guys like me who have trouble seeing.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

    I also use amnesia, in various weights depending on the weight of the fly line, it is easy to see (even for us young guys) and have found it works as a bit of a shock tip depending on the length you put on.
    Having tried the slip on loops I have found these add the wrong type of weight and is some cases too much drag to be effective on gin style waters, and presentation is bad.
    Also have used the whipped loop and i'm still using it on my spey lines and agree, very durable.
    tying a perfection loop into the end of the fly line is a good way to snap a tip when reeling in and not notice where the knot is, also presents a bit of drag off the water with the heavy knot.
    just my opinions though trials and fails

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,246
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default About Amnesia

    That is precisely what I use but I prefer chartreuse. I did not suggest it because I figured he was dry fly fishing for trout. I always liked things a little stealthier for trout on dries.

    Here I fish wet all the time and this is one of my connections, 30lb Amnesia nail knotted to the fly-line in front and 36lb saltwater Micron nail knotted on the back side. That way the butt snaps before my backing.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    quiet corner, ct
    Posts
    8,502

    Thumbs up Re: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

    Quote Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
    Actually that wasn't what I meant What I wonder is why I just can't tie the perfection loop directly from the fly line and not have to use mono or anything else at all?
    I've done it and it worked out well

    One night I was fishing an open beach alone when my whipped loop failed and I lost my leader
    Turns out my flashlight was nearly dead too
    I knew I could tie a perfection loop in the dark, so it was either that or go home.
    I stripped the pvc coating back and tied the loop in the core material and was good to go
    Worked well enough that I left it that way for the rest of the season.

    It's important to remember however that this was on an intermediate line.
    It you tried this with a floating line the core would become water logged and the line would sink
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •