stream habitat

nyadirondacks

Reaction score
what are some of the best methods to improve streams habitat. ive added decent size rocks and a few passable log jams to my streams and there have been large pools created. hopefully it brings more trout.

diamond rush

Reaction score
I have a copy of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/stream-conservation-handbook-Michael-Migel/dp/0517506149/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300151937&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The stream conservation handbook (9780517506141): J. Michael Migel: Books[/ame] by J.M. Migel. Its got great info for limestone streams. What type of stream are you modifying? Also, I assume you're the landowner. Make sure the stuff you're doing is legal. In my state you need a permit to modify a trout stream, even its on your own property.

nyadirondacks

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. its legal here as long as materials are native and natural, and the barriers have to be passable for the fish. My stream has very few trout. Ive lived here for 16 years and ive caught 4 brookies, a baby brown about 3 inches, and a 12 inch brown.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have a tiny feeder brook that goes through my property. There's no trout in it for most of the year, but in the fall breeding brookies will move up from the main stem to build their redds
This can also be the season with the lowest water.
I afraid that I don't get around to it every year, but I try to wade the length and clear out the dead falls that cause the silting that blocks the flow.
It's pretty swampy back there and the water needs a channel or it finds other ways

Just my own personal improvement to solve a specific problem
I do love it when we have a good recruiting class. :p

nyadirondacks

Reaction score
i live around an hour and a half from the real adirondacks. i fish the streams above lake george and schroon lake quite frequently. also make trips to the good ol battenkill.:worthy:
in ny state you usually need a permit to do these things but ive talked to ny dec and they said the regulations only apply to certain areas.

gt05254

Reaction score
It surprises me that NYDEC said that (that its ok), but, since they did, hope you have good productive fun!
Gary

gt05254

Reaction score
I did (live in NY) for many of my 61 years. Most recently just over the border from Vermont, 1996-2006. I hunt and fish in NY more than I do in VT. Got 3 of my natural resources-related degrees in NY. Several good friends work for NYSDEC.

And now, back to our broadcast,
Gary

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
If you are far up enough, fine gravel beds will help with spawning.
Digging some back waters with a minamal flow into them (a small trickle) will create safe habitat for the fingerlings which will improve surival rates.

obsticals that give them somewhere too hide like over hanging trees hollow rocks/logs, good native weed beds (you may need to controll growth so that you can take advantage of the hatchs) This will encrouge resident fish

Good luck with the restoration:cool:

Chris

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I think Chris' suggestion for spawning habitat is a very good one. Do you have any issues with bank erosion or cattle?