Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stream habitat

Default stream habitat

what are some of the best methods to improve streams habitat. ive added decent size rocks and a few passable log jams to my streams and there have been large pools created. hopefully it brings more trout.

Default Re: stream habitat

I have a copy of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/stream-conservation-handbook-Michael-Migel/dp/0517506149/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300151937&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The stream conservation handbook (9780517506141): J. Michael Migel: Books[/ame] by J.M. Migel. Its got great info for limestone streams. What type of stream are you modifying? Also, I assume you're the landowner. Make sure the stuff you're doing is legal. In my state you need a permit to modify a trout stream, even its on your own property.

Thanks for the link. its legal here as long as materials are native and natural, and the barriers have to be passable for the fish. My stream has very few trout. Ive lived here for 16 years and ive caught 4 brookies, a baby brown about 3 inches, and a 12 inch brown.

nyadirondacks - is your stream in the adirondacks?
    Gary

I have a tiny feeder brook that goes through my property. There's no trout in it for most of the year, but in the fall breeding brookies will move up from the main stem to build their redds
    This can also be the season with the lowest water.
    I afraid that I don't get around to it every year, but I try to wade the length and clear out the dead falls that cause the silting that blocks the flow.
    It's pretty swampy back there and the water needs a channel or it finds other ways

Just my own personal improvement to solve a specific problem
    I do love it when we have a good recruiting class.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

i live around an hour and a half from the real adirondacks. i fish the streams above lake george and schroon lake quite frequently. also make trips to the good ol battenkill.
    in ny state you usually need a permit to do these things but ive talked to ny dec and they said the regulations only apply to certain areas.

It surprises me that NYDEC said that (that its ok), but, since they did, hope you have good productive fun!
    Gary

Ha your telling me. Do you live in ny state?

I did (live in NY) for many of my 61 years. Most recently just over the border from Vermont, 1996-2006. I hunt and fish in NY more than I do in VT. Got 3 of my natural resources-related degrees in NY. Several good friends work for NYSDEC.

And now, back to our broadcast,
    Gary

If you are far up enough, fine gravel beds will help with spawning.
    Digging some back waters with a minamal flow into them (a small trickle) will create safe habitat for the fingerlings which will improve surival rates.

obsticals that give them somewhere too hide like over hanging trees hollow rocks/logs, good native weed beds (you may need to controll growth so that you can take advantage of the hatchs) This will encrouge resident fish

Good luck with the restoration

Chris
    "the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast