Your 2 cents on a first timers outfit

FowlHabit

Reaction score
I just purchased my first fly fishing outfit. I ended up getting a TFO Pro 3wt-8"6" rod and a galvin OB-3 reel. I was thinking of using the same Galvin OB-3 reel for a future 5wt rod with another spool lined with 5wt. The OB-3 is designed for 100yrds of 4wt and 80 yrds of 5wt on this reel. Is this too much weight and or reel for this 3 wt rod? I put it on the rod and it seemed ok but from a newbie with 0 experience I'm not sure. I fish local small streams in SoCal and the Eastern Sierras float tubing. I was considering the 3wt for the local streams and the future 5 wt for the Sierras and float tubing. What say you, is one reel do-able or should I just get two different outfits?

TNFishnStix

Reaction score
Great outfit! I have that same rod and is a regular of mine on some of the tailwaters I fish. Have that reel too and love it....very quiet and smooth and both are a pleasure to fish...

As far as another reel for heavier weights, just add a spool or two and you are good to go!

Have fun with it!!
LD

FowlHabit

Reaction score
I returned the 8'-6" 3wt for a 8'-6" 4 wt since I haven't used it yet. I'm thinking of using the 4wt for dry fly and get another 5wt rod and extra spool for nymphing. Being a beginner, I am thinking the 4wt may be a little easier to start off with, but not be too much rod for the little guys in the streams.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I think you have put together a great combo there. The 4wt was probably a good choice too. It will work as a nymphing rod, but a 5wt would be still better, you are right on on that one.

Joni

Reaction score
I think that you did a good move trading the 3 for the 4. Not that there is anything wrong with a 3wt. but, I think that you will be able to do a little more with the 4 and maybe hold off for awhile on the 5wt. I caught a 22" trout this winter on my 4wt bamboo and 24" this weekend on my 4wt glass, so it will handle the bigger fish. I have a 10' 5wt TFO Pro and it is a fantastic rod. The action is med/med-fast, perfect for them little guys also.
Not familiar with the reel so we will leave that one alone.