Bead Head for size 24 midge (zebra midge)

texastroutbum

Reaction score
Hello,
Recently I find that size 24 works better at an area that I have been fishing. I have searched the web for the right size of the bead head for the small midge such as size 24. But I discovered that the smallest bead head is about 1/16 which works for hook size 22. My concern is that if I put 1/16 on size 24 hook, the bead head will overpower the overall shape of the fly. My question is whether it is OK to use 1/16? Or if any of you know that I can order a smaller bead head than 1/16, please let me know. Or should I just use a thread to make thorax?

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
For that small I usually defer to using the smallest size glass seed bead. For a Zebra I would use a clear bead. I buy mine that small at the craft store.

Kelly.

Bigfly

Reaction score
TTB, the issue for me is reducing the gape of the hook.
Less hooking possibility.
Unless you have a long shank #24.
We have bead shops here.
There are some very-small pricey beads.
Shop around a bit more.
It is kinda hard to tie a sparse fly with a huge head.
I have some weighted 1/32nd silver beads. They're routed out to clear the bend too.

Jim

Last edited:

FlyBum

Reaction score
I have some weighted 1/32nd silvers beads. They're routed out to clear the bend too.
Jim where did you find those 1/32nd weighted silver beads? Were they from a bead shop. We have a Joanns in Elk Grove, but the small silver ones I found there were plastic, so I've been using glass beads like Kelly mentioned.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Tom, I will try to find out about the 1.5mm or 1/32 size. They weren't from a bead store. Our fly shop closed so I'll have to ask around.

Last edited:

Jackster

Reaction score
Okay, I'm confused. Do 1/32"-drilled beads exist or not, and if so, where can they be bought (incidentally, 1.5 mm-drilled beads equate to 1/16", not 1/32")?
I can't tell you if they make bead heads that small but I can say the 1.5 mm beads are darn tiny.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I have the bad habit of throwing away the package after putting the beads into hobby cylinders. Some sell measurements in mm, and others "old school" fractions.
They do exist though, I've got them in my hand. No way to measure them either.
They are so small, that I have to use pliers to manipulate them.
Same with the hooks that size.
And, I fear dropping one.
I bought the drilled tungsten beads at the "old" Reno shop.
I'm sorry I can't help more.

Jim

texastroutbum

Reaction score
thank you so much guys.
I am looking forward to fishing around mid April in the beavers bend OK, where lots of bows have been stocked. I just want to catch fish going after little midge, a type of fishing that I have not been that much successful.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Texas, midges are a higher bar setting. Either fishing nymphs or dries.
Very little hooking power or area. The motivator is the size of fish that eat this minutia.
Maybe drop one off a dry
Hang tough, and set very lightly.

Jim

mojo

Reaction score
thank you so much guys.
I am looking forward to fishing around mid April in the beavers bend OK, where lots of bows have been stocked. I just want to catch fish going after little midge, a type of fishing that I have not been that much successful.
This type of fishing, you almost have to let the fish hook itself. Patience not quick hooksets.

crittergetter

Reaction score
I just bought some really small #22 tunghead Zebra's on EBAY.

greenriverflies was the EBAY name and Holly was the person name.

They were great people to deal with. You might drop them a note and see if they can tell you. Their flies were really great and cheap. I don't tie flies so they were cheap for me.

On a private email it took about a week for them to get back but they did.

Good luck in your search.

Crittergetter