Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default when I was young...but not wise

The other day I was tidying papers in my study when I found an old photo.I'm proudly standing with three nice browns I had caught on my favorite river long long ago.I couldn't catch such big fish in the same river nowadays for there aren't any left .How stupid and pretentious I was!At that time catch and release was unknown in France,one had to show his fishing talents.Then I grew older and started releasing most of the fish I caught.One day I caught a pike,I came back home and decided to gut it in the sink....it was still alive....I realized I wouldn't be able to kill it.I put it in a little concrete basin in the garden.The day after I carried it in a baby plastic bath and released it in a little lake nearby.From this day onwards I haven't killed a fish anymore and I'm proud of it

2. Likes rubberguy, Ard liked this post

Default Re: when I was young...but not wise

I think everyone kept the decent fish during that time period. The fishing
    shows I watched when growing up in the 70's featured the host and guests
    holding 50lb stringers of whatever . It appeared to me that the holy
    grail was a stringer so heavy that it couldn't be lifted .

There was a time, when I kept my freezer full by what I could shoot or catch in the river. It was that or go without meat as we did not have much money at the time. Those times are past for me (hopefully) but, I can understand the need of someone to catch a string of fish and take it home.

I catch and release almost everything these days, though will occassionally keep a couple 12 inchers for a meal, especially when I can take them right from the river or lake to the campfire.

When I was younger, my grandpa fed his family on fish and game, I never saw anything wrong with bringing home a stringer of fish. I now often think that if I don't release them there may not be any for my kids to catch when they are my age. I hope that is not true, and I hope that there will be fish for their kids too.

Having come from where I have been, it shouldn't upset me to see people take a stringer home, but it does these days, especially when they are taking everything, a stringer or bucket full of 4 inchers to 40 inchers.

d

I grew up on fish and game, and still eat as much game as I can. Fish is on the menu, but rarely is trout included. I usually make an effort to put some walleye or perch or bluegills in the pan to satisfy my taste for fresh fish. I will keep some stocker steelies; they're wonderful grilled or smoked.

Dan

When I was younger, the only fish I ever kept were bluegill that my grandfather would eat. Once in a while, I'd keep a sucker that I'd catch because my grandmother said there was a lady that lived close that ate them.

Why anyone would ever eat a sucker is beyond me. Other than off-shore fishing, I've never really kept much. If there was no one around to eat them (not that I wouldn't, just don't feel like messing with it), I don't keep it.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

Blog Entries

JP,

Everyone has done things they regret. If only my transgressions would have been limited to killing trout.

I won't share the tales of my sordid past when it comes to butchering fish.. I reformed myself 30 years ago and have only killed perhaps a dozen trout over those thirty years. I was fortunate to be in the Bob Marshal Wilderness back in 1981 and fished a creek where there were so many trout that eating a few while there was not something to feel guilt over.

Here I release many trout without ever removing them from the water, just slip the hook and let them swim. All of the hen salmon I catch are released and some males too if the fishing is good. I do take the limit until we reach thirty of them in the deep freeze. That many will last all year. When I take salmon I kill them quick. A deliberate thrust of my Gerber through the brain and it is over.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Yer all justa buncha fysh killerz!!
    I aint neber kilt 1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    Yer all justa buncha fysh killerz!!
    I aint neber kilt 1.
    Love your spelling Fysh looks like the one of my students

I've been into C&R since it was called 'throwin' em back'
    The fact is I never cared for the taste and even when I was just a kid I'd release my catch rather than having to clean and eat them.
    My wife however has no use for C&R and has never seen the point of spending all that time (and money) on fishing without ever bringing anything home.
    To keep the peace, I'll fish for panfish in the spring a time or two with the purpose of harvesting a stringer full, and when marginal stocked streams warm up in the early summer, I take a brace of trout
    From later in the summer 'till this time of season I'll keep some small to medium sized bluefish. Contrary to common knowledge, they're very tasty as long as they're handled correctly. Excellent smoked too
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
    Love your spelling Fysh looks like the one of my students
    Did I pass then?

I don't remember the last time I kept a trout. I don't have a problem with a few being taken and eaten fresh, but that's only if the water system can support it. I hate it when they end up in the freezer to be thrown out 6 yrs later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast