Furled Leaders?

switchfisher

Reaction score
Anybody use furled leaders?

I have been trying them this year and think they turn my fly over better than a regular leader.

Is it my imagination or are they really better?

switchfisher

Reaction score
Thanks for the link - I'll keep using these and try some different brands. I used Blue Sky and Quigley so far. Both are good, and I prefer Quigley as the leader is softer.

Now that I know about Joni, I'll have to try some of those in the spring

axle27

Reaction score
Absolutely!!!! I will use nothing else, with the possible exception of nymphing, which I don't do much of. I HATED playing around with the tapered leaders out of the bag/wallet...having to untangle it everytime was a *******. Earlier this year, I watched a buddy of mine loose his mind on the water when he changed leaders, so I walked over and just gave him one of my 4-5wt. furled jobs. I stretched it for him and tied a quick perfection loop in the tippet for him. He's a convert.

The great thing is that they will last more than a whole season.

There is a guy who makes and sells them on Ebay for about 6 bucks for two (2). They are Mono.

I paid $15.00 for a Flouro with a ring for my streamer rig. Worked out real well when I was out a few weeks ago.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
6 bucks for two leaders? Yeoza! For 6 bucks you can buy the wood to make a furling board, AND 2 spools of 6/0 uni thread ... and furl probably 2 DOZEN leaders! For 15 bucks you can get a DVD from Kathy Scott and learn how to make them.:eek:

axle27

Reaction score
Understood, but I don't have the time to mess with that. I wish I did.

Four kids keep me moving.....

I look at it this way:

The absolute cheapest tapered leaders I could find were something like $2.49 each.

So, right away, you're close to $6 for something that MIGHT last an outing or two. For the same money, I get two (2) leaders that will last the entire season. If you really calculated the value of your time, which is damn near impossible, but still possible, the effort it would take me to make my own leaders for as much as I fish would be more than getting two (2) for $6. At that rate, I'll pay for the convenience.

If I were a guide, or just fished more than I do, I'd go that route.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
My time is my most precious commodity.
Once learned, a furled leader can be turned out (furled out?) in around 5 minutes. And that includes a tippet ring and shorb loop on the butt end. It would take me longer to drive to a fly shop, purchase leaders, and drive home, than to furl a dozen leaders.

axle27

Reaction score
Again, I see your point. I'd love to learn how. At some point.

Joni

Reaction score
My time is my most precious commodity.
Once learned, a furled leader can be turned out (furled out?) in around 5 minutes. And that includes a tippet ring and shorb loop on the butt end. It would take me longer to drive to a fly shop, purchase leaders, and drive home, than to furl a dozen leaders.
HEAY! Selling them here! ;-)
But I charge $6. for any weight/length and $9. for sinking.

Joni

Reaction score
It's all good. Them that can ....do and them that can't BUY...LOL

I always throw in a bonus with my orders though........does that help? LOL

axle27

Reaction score
I pretty much wore out the two (2) 4-5wt furled leaders this year. The one I use strictly for practice casting.

You say you're selling for $6? Do you use tippet rings?

Joni

Reaction score
I do. I have 2 mm and 3 mm or I can attach a tippet or the good old shorb loop.

axle27

Reaction score
At some point, you will be hearing from me. Need a couple of 4-5wts.

I'll let ya know.

Joni

Reaction score
And a good business woman I am not. I will give you a killer deal A.

axle27

Reaction score
At least I know where to come if something doesn't work out right....:p

Joni

Reaction score
Jes jew do LOL What! I don't know where this came from! he, he, he.

smog7

Reaction score
are furled leaders fairly new? I've read through my Tom McNally Fly Fishing book and he mentions nothing about furled leaders.

I have a couple of leaders that Joni made up for me. I still haven't been able to use them. Hoping I can change that this upcoming weekend

Brewmaster

Reaction score
smog7,

Furled leaders are not new, have been around for a long time, they are coming back into being more popular. I have used them for several years. See the link in the 2nd post in this thread - has relevant historical information.