What's best for catch & release, gripper or net

grgerman

Reaction score
I am looking at a new net or gripper for salmon and trout.

I have used nets in the past but a gripper looks intreging.

Does anyone have any comments on grippers. If so, which brand is best and which should I avoid.

Thanks in advance.

Trout Bum

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi grgerman,

I am not clear on what you are calling a gripper. There are things that go over your hand to help hold the fish. Is this the style you are asking about? Then there are gloves, taillers, Lippa and Boca styles. You can see I need a little more information.

Frank

Rip Tide

Reaction score
If you're talking trout, I personally believe that it's best if they're never touched or leave the water
A Ketchem Release is a good tool for this
I'm not normally into gadgets, but years ago I received one as a gift and it works as advertised. You can release the fish without touching it and the tool does not wreak flies like hemostats do.

For big fish with big teeth :eek:, I use a Fish Grip. They're light weight, float, and are lot cheaper than a Boca

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Quote:A Ketchem Release is a good tool for this
I'm not normally into gadgets, but years ago I received one as a gift and it works as advertised. You can release the fish without touching it and the tool does not wreak flies like hemostats do.
Totally agree with RT...a very good and easy to use tool;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Rip Tide hit the nail on the head. Trout never need to see a gripper of any sort. Salmon are handled best by getting back from shore and dragging them onto the shore.

If you are going to release them then make it quick, get the hook out and send them on their way.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
I've got to take some exception here, but it's probably because I'm not the quality of fly-fisherman that are commenting on this thread (& I mean that sincerely). I use both an (extendable) collapsible clear PVC net along with a Lippa-for-Life "gripper" and a Rising Crocodile. I do this because, at my level of ineptitude, I find this is the best way to get large trout back in the water with minimal handling.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Neil,

Don't get me wrong on that buddy, whatever works for you is cool with me. I just kinda got simple as time went on. Simple about fish that is...................

I do own nets and I tend to use them when I fish a little creek where the fish are usually small and hard to handle. I scoop them and while they are safe in the drink I slip the hook.

How you been?

grgerman

Reaction score
Hi grgerman,

I am not clear on what you are calling a gripper. There are things that go over your hand to help hold the fish. Is this the style you are asking about? Then there are gloves, taillers, Lippa and Boca styles. You can see I need a little more information.

Frank
Sorry for the delay in responding. I was out of town for a few days.

By gripper I was refering to a tool like the Boga Grip.

Thnanks,

Trout Bum

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Hey Neil,

Don't get me wrong on that buddy, whatever works for you is cool with me. I just kinda got simple as time went on. Simple about fish that is...................

I do own nets and I tend to use them when I fish a little creek where the fish are usually small and hard to handle. I scoop them and while they are safe in the drink I slip the hook.

How you been?
Hey, Ard, I'm doing fine . . . thanks for asking.

Like I said, I'm not up to the speed of the many expert fly-fishermen - like you especially - on this excellent Forum. Frankly, my best fishing results were with hand grenades in Nam, but that doesn't work too well stateside ;)

Last edited:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
If by gripper you mean the thing you stick your hend in and clamp down on the fih's skin with this 'toothy' plastic contraption I say no. I just use my semi abused fingers. I am on the net side, more of a fan of the rubber net than the cloth twine type nets. Nylon mesh is not to bad either. Twine type net splits fins pretty bad. If it does not remove slime, split fins, clamp on the body, or otherwise harm fish go with it. I still like just the hand land style.

racine

Reaction score
I use a net for trout but keep them in the water. I remove flies with an an improved hemostat that can damage flies on rowdy fish but it's effective. I like and may try the Ketchum tool but what I have works for now. In the salt I use a Boga lookalike I got from Bass Pro. It doesn't come with a scale so it only cost $10 or so but it's just as effective. Maybe if I fished more salt species I may splurge. I saw a buddy using the Ketchum in Arkansas this year and it worked slick. I think it a refinement of an older tool.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Love the Brodyn nets that are clear rubber (doesn't spook fish as badly when netting).
The Ketchum release is standard on a retractor. Most of the time, on smaller fish, I throw them a roll cast of slack, for the remote release. No need to handle them, and they fair better for it.

Last edited: