Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Eastern Sierra Trip

Default Eastern Sierra Trip

Had a nice week in the Eastern Sierra recently for some late-season fishing. The bite wasn't quite as hot as I thought it would be, but here are a few pics from the trip:

We hit many of the lakes in the Mammoth/June area, as well as Hot Creek and the Upper Owens.

Cheers,

-VB

Blog Entries

Default Re: Eastern Sierra Trip

Good looking photos, thanks for sharing! The Eastern Sierras are beautiful regardless of how the fishing turns out.

Larry

Hi von behr,

Typical High Sierras fishing, thanks for sharing.

I was all over the West side of the High Sierras back in the fifties. Back then we had few restrictions and camped anywhere we wanted to. This was before back packing really took off and so many people were into it. My first pack was a WWII surplus I bought in 1951. Make from steel and was heavy but surprisingly comfortable. My buddy had a Trapper Nelson wooden pack board. Dang, those were good times.

Frank

Looks like a beautiful area, Thank you for sharing.

I was planning on hitting up Hot Creek and the Owens around thanksgiving but heard they weren't fishing as well as they could be so I think I'm going to the East Walker instead. Good pics though, nice work.
    Check out thew best page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/383970318419257/

I've wanted to fish the East Walker for a long time. I've heard nothing but great things about that place. For this trip, I had to stay in the Mammoth/June area, because the group of guys I was with are not all fly fishers.

Some of the guys just like to troll the lakes. I threw flies as much as I could, but used a variety of tactics and gear on the trip, and we all caught something, one way or another. I caught more of my fish and a greater variety using flies. The two browns depicted, while not large, were both taken on nymphs on Hot Creek and the Upper Owens. I used a dry/dropper set up.

Occasionally, I got some love on the dries, but they were mainly smaller rainbows. The bigger fish were deeper and hitting the zebra patterns. I also stripped streamers using a sinking line to really get down in some of the deep holes, but could not tempt any of the large browns undoubtedly lurking down there.

My next drive up there, I'm checking out the East Walker and the Bridgeport area.

Cheers,

-VB