Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Shark gets too close for comfort, fly fishing Florida Keys

Default Shark gets too close for comfort, fly fishing Florida Keys

My father just got back from some tropical place in the Keys and caught some footage that I thought you guys would get a kick out of. This is just a clip out of the full encounter. He told me he wasn't scared of grizzly bears in Montana, but a small shark really freaked him out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfIpGlS3KBU]YouTube - Shark almost attacks fly fisherman[/ame]

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shark gets too close for comfort, fly fishing Florida Keys

I'd agree, that was way to close for comfort!

Larry
    Larry

Blog Entries

I'd send a fly out there to catch the sucker!

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
    I'd send a fly out there to catch the sucker!

Kelly.
    Personally I'd send a bullet out there to catch that sucker.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

I noticed that your dad slapped the water with his rod. I actually just learned something today about shark behavior when talking to one of the guys at the shop. He was told by his guide/friend, when he had a similar encounter with a shark in the Bahamas, NEVER slap the water with your rod. It actually triggers a predatory instinct that makes them curious. Instead, pick up some hand fuels of sand and throw it at their heads because they don't like stuff raining down on them. Don't know if that is true, just what I was told today. Maybe some of our salts can chime in with expertise.

That will make your heart rate jump for sure. Pretty cool footage and a neat encounter. Imagine in the days before hat cam all we would have heard is a fish story.

I wonder how close he got to the bears in Montana? Ive had some close encounters with very large brown bears. Those bears can kill you in a heart beat. That little shark would ruin the rest of your season but isnt going to kill you wading in shin deep water.
    Just my 2cents.

There was one flat I fished in the Bahamas that had a pretty large shark population, and I had three or four different bull sharks in the 3-5ft range swim within about 20ft of me. Scary stuff!

Thanks for the replies, the rest of the footage starts when he catches the bone fish and the shark starts going after it. He eventually breaks the bone fish off the line, and the fish just v's towards him. That's why the shark starts heading his direction.

Macc,

In a reply to your question he says that he has heard that slapping the water could trigger a 'predatory' instinct. But he says, it's always worked for him.

nerka,

I and my father have been very close to brown and black bears, usually I try to keep on the opposite side of the river from them. And almost every time I come across bears, they see me and leave the area. I've never used bear spray, all though I have brought it along occasionally.