Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your Night-Fishing "STREAMER" Rod? WHY?

Default What's your Night-Fishing "STREAMER" Rod? WHY?

So, I like to tie and fish these god-awful large streamers for Browns. Not that I'm any good at it yet, but I really enjoy it, especially at night. About the only thing I've heard is that you want a rod that gives you some feel. Sometimes you'll feel a strike that you might not see or hear. I'm thinking of picking up one of the Redington CT's in a 6 wt (since they are on sale for $109). I'm curious about what you guys choose when you know you're going to be fishing big articulated coneheads, or giant fluffy mice, etc., especially at night. Fast stiff 5 wt, med 6 wt, other????

Default Re: What's your Night-Fishing "STREAMER" Rod? WHY?

I have a couple rods that I use. A Loomis IMX 9' 7wt, and the other a SCOTT G 9' 7wt. Both with different actions, just depends on which rod I'm "feeling" at the time. Both rods get fished day & night.
    I've never had much concern about not feeling a light strike at night, most of the time there's not much of a question as to whether it was a strike or not.

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    I've never had much concern about not feeling a light strike at night, most of the time there's not much of a question as to whether it was a strike or not.
    That has been my experience, limited as it is. Fishing the topwater mice and such, they usually hit loudly enough to wake the dead! I've fished some of the underwater stuff at night, but with alot less success, only a few fish on them. Ive tried stripping up or across stream, and drifting down and across, but not much luck under the water with either method.

Look for skinny water next to shore, slow water, backwater, and eddy's, where the big fish come to hunt at night or low-light conditions. I like stillwater fishing the best when it comes to this.

The rod I use the most for mousing and fishing big Hex patterns is my 9' 6wt TFO...Why do I use this particular rod? I like it...

Dan

Blog Entries

Hey Dan and Fysh you're poachers like Larry....it's forbidden to fish at night here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
    Hey Dan and Fysh you're poachers like Larry....it's forbidden to fish at night here
    JP: And dang proud of it!

For large streamers I use my Sage Z-Axis 7 wt, for smaller streamers I use my Orvis T-3 6 wt.

Larry
    Last edited by mcnerney; 03-24-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    Larry

8. Default Re: What's your Night-Fishing "STREAMER" Rod? WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    So, I like to tie and fish these god-awful large streamers for Browns. Not that I'm any good at it yet, but I really enjoy it, especially at night. About the only thing I've heard is that you want a rod that gives you some feel. Sometimes you'll feel a strike that you might not see or hear. I'm thinking of picking up one of the Redington CT's in a 6 wt (since they are on sale for $109). I'm curious about what you guys choose when you know you're going to be fishing big articulated coneheads, or giant fluffy mice, etc., especially at night. Fast stiff 5 wt, med 6 wt, other????
    I really like the way you think. I have a box full of galloups sex dungeons just for this. I use a Orvis 9ft 6wt tip flex to throw all my big streamers. It's been my experience when a big trout eats a streamer you won't not feel it

... I can tell you what rod I don't use
    I have an old fiberglass Orvis Golden Eagle 8wt. Some people might think of it as a "slow action", it's definitely a "full flex".

I was out stalking the beach late one night when I hooked into a nice sized striper. 20-25 pounds maybe
    It took the fly nearly at my feet, bending the tip right down to the cork.
    Scared the bejeebbies out of me. I don't use that rod at night any more
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

My preference for a trout streamer stick is a fast action 9 to 9.5 foot 6 weight. The fast action matches my stroke, and I know that the rod could handle the heavier grain mass of the line (up to 225 grains in some situations). Big flies like Sex Dungeons, Sculpzillas, and Bandit Leeches are easy to throw with the rod.

MP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast