Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default PEAK Rotary Fly Tying Vise.Advice

Hi I'm going to order a new vise to Santa Claus(my wife) so I don't want to get a very expensive one.Any opinions about this one:PEAK Rotary Fly Tying Vise.Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: PEAK Rotary Fly Tying Vise.Advice

JP: I bought a Peak Rotary vise on Ebay about a year ago and love it.

Larry

The Peak Rotary Vise is the only vise any serious American fly tier should ever use. It is 100% Made in the USA and comes in under $200 by a good bit for a complete package (as shown above). It has been rated the #1 true rotary vise under $200 several times by various magazines and organizations. And it will improve your fly tying, your fishing prowess, and your attractiveness to the opposite sex. I only wish I had discovered the Peak Rotary Vise sooner. My Peak Rotary Vise has saved my life at least 3 times. And it makes cappuccino!

Ken Morrow, Peak Pro Tying Team

P.S. The first half of that is all true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
    The Peak Rotary Vise is the only vise any serious American fly tier should ever use. It is 100% Made in the USA and comes in under $200 by a good bit for a complete package (as shown above). It has been rated the #1 true rotary vise under $200 several times by various magazines and organizations. And it will improve your fly tying, your fishing prowess, and your attractiveness to the opposite sex. I only wish I had discovered the Peak Rotary Vise sooner. My Peak Rotary Vise has saved my life at least 3 times. And it makes cappuccino!

Ken Morrow, Peak Pro Tying Team

P.S. The first half of that is all true.
    Ken: That was great, I'm still laughing!

Larry

I've heard lots of good things about the Peak vises, and used one a couple times at our local shop. I haven't heard any complaints, and would buy one if I needed another vise.
    "I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." Jack Handy

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com

Well, I couldn't resist. It's my birthday and I'm a notorious smart-aleck.

But I really am on the Peak Tying Team. And I really do think that if you want an awesome true rotary that won't break the bank and is 100% made in the USA by a 100% American-owned company, you can get everything you want in a Peak vise.

Couple of pointers: if you tie a lot of flies smaller than a 16, you need to get the midge jaws right off the bat. But if your idea of a saltwater fly, salmon/steelhead fly, or pike/musky fly doesn't get bigger than a 2/0, you don't actually NEED the saltwater jaws. They're nice, but not necessary until you get bigger than 2/0. The pedestal base is the best I've ever seen. It is rock solid, slim profile, very heavy, and large enough to prevent ALL tipping. Finally, if you have a significant other of the opposite sex, get the waste material basket! It's a serious relationship enhancement.

Peak owner for 3 years. I cannot see how I lived without this vise! It's
    all that, and then some. Built like a tank, but not bulky, nor do any of the
    arms get in the way. I bought mine from an ebay dealer (Gypsy Outdoors), and
    he includes the brass tension screw for free. The D-Arm is well worth the
    extra $7, and then some. I tie down to #20, and might get a set of midge
    jaws. There only $35 .

Call the Peak people, and you'll get an idea of who is making this vise. The
    first time I called, they asked what I'd like to see changed or improved. How
    many companies do that???? I really couldn't think of anything. I'm sitting
    next to mine right now, and just gave the rotating arm a good shake. Zero
    play, and the base keeps it sitting firmly on the desk. The Peak has a 3/8"
    hole in the base plate, and a 3/8" rod can be installed to hold lights, and
    a magnifying lens. I use it for the lens that Peak sells, and can't see how I've
    lived without that as well. I bought a 2"x3/8" clevis pin to hold the len: the
    clevis pin was $2, and Peak charges quite a bit more for their 3/8" rod.....

Oh Yeah.... I used to look at all the different vises available to man before
    buying the Peak, but haven't so much as Googled "Vise" since.

EDIT Here's Ken: http://www.peakfishing.com/TyingDemos.html
    When I bought my Peak, Al Ritt was the featured tyer, so things seem to
    be moving along nicely.

I just got my Peak non-rotary vise and it is GREAT. I got it off ebay for ~$80 and tied up a boat load of steely flies this thanksgiving when i was home. It is built like a rock and couldn't be more happy with it.

Blog Entries

Hey guys thanks a lot for your help...I think I'm going to order one right now

jbb you won't be disappointed. Tell us what you think when you get some fly time with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast