Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Default straight leaders for nymphing?

    i have heard tapered leaders are bad for nymphing. is a straight leader a better option?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: straight leaders for nymphing?

    I have not had any problems with a tapered leader, in fact I prefer it. If I snag and break off I just want to lose that smallest piece instead of potentially the entire leader.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,410
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: straight leaders for nymphing?

    Never heard that one, a level leader is good when you are fishing streamers and looking for big fish with heavy flies but for a little nymph being fished in traditional style............Tapered

    Could be the information was regarding fishing the nymph beneath a bobber / indicator, I can not see where a tapered leader would have any advantage when used this way.

    Ard

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  4. Default Re: straight leaders for nymphing?

    i believe it was about indicator fishing.

    they said that a tapered leader will create more drag than a level leader.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ben Lomond, Ca
    Posts
    2,253
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: straight leaders for nymphing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Never heard that one, a level leader is good when you are fishing streamers and looking for big fish with heavy flies but for a little nymph being fished in traditional style............Tapered

    Could be the information was regarding fishing the nymph beneath a bobber / indicator, I can not see where a tapered leader would have any advantage when used this way.

    Ard
    I think you're right, Ard. I'll nymph under an indicator with straight fluoro, unless I think there might be dry fly opportunity during the day. If I think there will be a hatch I'll fish a tapered leader just so I can change up quickly.

    -Mike

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,410
    Blog Entries
    111

    Default Re: straight leaders for nymphing?

    Drag may be splitting hairs but if I were an Indi fisherman I would run 8 pound fluorocarbon to the bobber and loop to loop a tippet from there to the fly. This would make things simple in the event of a snag. The leader loop will break but you will still have the loop on the heavier line. You could be carrying leader sections with pre tied loops in different lengths (for depth control) and replacing a tippet would be fairly painless...............

    Ard

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  7. #7

    Default Re: straight leaders for nymphing?

    For me, using tippet instead of a tapered leader is just cheaper.

    I have a really small swivel at the end of my butt section, I'll either attach the indicator there, or slide it down for shallow water.

    Tie on 6' (or so) of 3x, blood knot 2' of 4x - tie on the fly. If I need weight, I put them above the blood knot. so they don't slip. (for Steelhead, I go up one size for both)

    it's probably 25 cents or less for the 'leader' vs $4 - lol - yes I'm cheap

  8. #8

    Default Re: straight leaders for nymphing?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpd5184 View Post
    i have heard tapered leaders are bad for nymphing. is a straight leader a better option?
    Like just about everything else it depends.

    There are at least three important things you are trying to accomplish with a nymphing presentation. You want as drag free afloat as is possible. You want the nymph o get down to the feeding level as soon as possible. You want as little slack as possible so you can detect strikes. Whether high sticking or fishing upstream, a level leader would help with all these things.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan
    Posts
    2,584

    Default Re: straight leaders for nymphing?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
    For me, using tippet instead of a tapered leader is just cheaper.

    I have a really small swivel at the end of my butt section, I'll either attach the indicator there, or slide it down for shallow water.

    Tie on 6' (or so) of 3x, blood knot 2' of 4x - tie on the fly. If I need weight, I put them above the blood knot. so they don't slip. (for Steelhead, I go up one size for both)

    it's probably 25 cents or less for the 'leader' vs $4 - lol - yes I'm cheap
    I rig up similar to dhayden, with one exception, I have a loop on the end of a tapered butt system. I can loop on a longer piece of 2 or 3x flouro then a triple surgeons knot to attach my tippet. Work for indi fishing or high sticking for me...

    Dan

Similar Threads

  1. Straight or Curved Sissors?
    By Jimmie in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-18-2013, 12:11 AM
  2. Straight mono on a large arbor fly reel
    By spaceghost33 in forum Fly Reels
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 08:16 AM
  3. Telescopic to straight stick?
    By Shane Stroud in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •