Q about backing

tenetxnosce

Reaction score
Just bought my first fly rod yesterday and really looking forward to getting my line wet. Before I do that just a quick question......

Is backing absolutely needed on the reel??

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In a word, yes. For a couple reasons.

1: If you hook into something big you will be glad you have it.
2: It is easier on the actual flyline as without backing the line will coil in much smaller loops.
3: It is dirt cheap.
4: If the reel is spooled to capacity, each turn of the handle will bring in more line.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Yes and Fanatic is dead-on with the reasons why.

In case you were wondering, no, you really should not use regular monofilament as backing. It has a nasty tendency to dig down into itself and cause lots of problems by doing so.

gregorykicks

Reaction score
yeah no monofilament, nylon is great!. Keeps your line in better shape, and I often will even cast past my line and into the backing... I wouldn't fish without it :)

troutbum

Reaction score
gregorykicks said:
yeah no monofilament, nylon is great!. Keeps your line in better shape, and I often will even cast past my line and into the backing... I wouldn't fish without it :)
Just a question ,but I wanna get this straight,You OFTEN cast past your line and then start casting into your backing?:shocking:am I the only one that's gonna touch this one?

BigCliff

Reaction score
Just to clarify, monofilament is in fact nylon. Many "monofilaments" nowadays are actually a copolymer that have multiple materials in them, but true monofilament is nylon. The most common material used for flyline backing is dacron, a form of polyester that doesn't stretch much at all and lays flat when wound onto a reel.

I'm not trying to be a turd, just don't want our "new flyer" to stand there looking at a box that says "nylon monofilament" and be confused by what we have told him.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
troutbum said:
Just a question ,but I wanna get this straight,You OFTEN cast past your line and then start casting into your backing?:shocking:am I the only one that's gonna touch this one?
Are you saying you can't cast all your line and some of the backing as well? I can cast all of mine (on a good day) and it is 100'.

Some of the lower end lines are much shorter as well..

troutbum

Reaction score
I was just wondering where a fellow would have to cast into the backing "OFTEN" I'm glad I dont have to cast into my backing on a regular basis!
tight lines
Aaron

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
troutbum said:
I was just wondering where a fellow would have to cast into the backing "OFTEN" I'm glad I dont have to cast into my backing on a regular basis!
tight lines
Aaron
Everytime I go for Carp at the local ponds I have to cast at least 60-70' or they get spooked.