Tube Flies....

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Just curious, I wonder what people think of tube flies...One of my buddies has telling me how great they are...I'm not convinced; what do you guys think?

Dan

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I just this year started tying them. I tried using brass tube, which goes deep like a rock. I tried using using the part of a ball point pen ink tube the ink was out of. This is by far my favorite source of free tubes. But it is a limited source. All in all, I kinda like 'em. I'm even considering breaking down and buying proper materials. I'm on my way out of town right now, but I'll post a couple of the tube flies I have experimented with when I get back. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone. Dan

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I have not started tying them, but I have tried a few. I like them. I like the ability to have the same pattern tied on a different tube to be able to fish them at various depths. Also having the choice to use a different hook size is nice, too.

I'll probably fork over the bucks to start tying up my own tubes.

MP

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Not a tube fly per say, but I use to carry separate popper heads that you could string on your tippet in front of a streamer.
(Kinda like the interchangeable heads on a Bob's Banger)
There wasn't really any advantage to it as I carry plenty of poppers anyway.

Last edited:

BlueDun

Reaction score
Dan, just curious - what don't you like about tube flies?

I have been converting my flies to tube flies. I like them a lot and find them very easy to use and to tie. They make a big difference for me with bass and bluegill b/c the hooks are so much easier to remove.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Didn't say I didn't like them...:D Just curious about experiences others have had with them...I have seen some beautiful examples for patterns for Steelhead...I am looking at swinging flies more then I do now, and they will definitely be something I will try.

Dan

sandfly

Reaction score
Have used them for years for salmon and shad. I like them for swinging with currents and getting down. for trout I don't care for them.

MikeyBob365

Reaction score
Have used them for years for salmon and shad. I like them for swinging with currents and getting down. for trout I don't care for them.
is that what tube flies are used for? or any other species of the deep?

Gar

Reaction score
I have used tube flies on and off for years. All my poppers are tube flies, mostly because I use round high density foam and the tubes slide into a drilled hole very easily. I like them on streamers that dont have a top. The hook can move so sometimes it will make your streamers run sideways. In my mind the best advantage is no rusted hooks. I always used to throw away flies with rusty hooks.
Side note....I tie mine on plastic gas line for model airplanes. $.99 for three foot.

If you get a tube kit that mounts in your vice, add a plastic bead to the front to help keep the tube from turning while tying.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've not used them much myself, as I rarely am swinging flies to fish.

A guy in W NY has put together some OUTSTANDING step by step instruction on tying tubes. It requires a pretty good tying knowledge foundation, but I think its a really ideal educational format once you've moved past the basics. He's with the Oak Orchard shop and goes by Ginseng Sullivan online.

A Clouser variation- [ame="http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/OakOrchardFlyShop/BETTER%20MINNOW/?albumview=slideshow"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket[/ame]

Foxy Leech- [ame="http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/OakOrchardFlyShop/FOXY%20LEECHY/?albumview=slideshow"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket[/ame]

Edit- Looks like our forum ain't quite smart enough to process PB slideshows. Click on the white text at the top of the boxes to go to them.

Offshore

Reaction score
Initially I was sceptical about tubes and now I'm totally sold on them for my predator fishing for Northern Pike and for saltwater fly fishing... I'll still tie on hooks but to tie a BIG streamer for a pike and watch it take a big fly is awesome... it also helps with fisheries in the UK when they request that barbless hooks are used... an example of a pike tube fly!!

devon flyfisher

Reaction score
Hi All,

I use tube flies for my sea trout,its our brown trout version of your steel head but they fight harder (only joking!) , i always tie them 'short' as i believe the sea trout will just nip at the fly.
Great flies because you can use plastic,aluminium,copper and brass, really search out the water with them.
And always with a bit of 'flash' as we use them at night for the sea trout on my local rivers.

Cheers

Richard

nearnuff

Reaction score
I just started to use tube flies this past season and like them a lot. I used them for Atlantic Salmon, Stripers and smallmouths. I like the idea of tying large flies for stripers without wearing a hardhat. I can extend the length of the fly by tying a tail on the hook without adding weight. When fighting a large fish the fly slides up the tippet away from the hook and the fishes mouth so the fly doen't get beat up fighting a fish. The fly is separate so when a hook gets damaged I just change the hook, keeping the fly intact.
I use the tube from Veniard "Slipstream Tubes" I like the way the hook fits snug on the tube and the hook makes a keel as an ordindinary hook does. The tube fly boxes are simple and efficient and if you use tube flies a great addition to the mountain of fly boxes one seems to accumulate!!

Offshore

Reaction score
I really like that fly. Is that mostly Rabbit?
Dan it is a copy of a fly that I saw a dutch guy Riny Sluiter tie at the British Fly Fair International. The fly has a tail of white raccoon zonker with 4 large grizzle hackles, a bit of crystal flash, then marabou cut raccoon spun around the tube... the final colour black is black arctic fox... brush out a clump of it and cut it off the skin... and push it onto the tube so you get an even spread... almost a veil over the pink raccoon... I went for epoxy eyes... next time I tie one I'll do it with junglecock feathers to create eyes - to save weight as its a *itch to cast :D

Apparently desinged not really for casting continually but cast and walk along the canalside waiting for a strike... good trolling fly I guess.

All tied with Eumer products from Finland - great quality

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
I have made some out of the plastic Q-Tip stems, they work pretty well.
I am not convinved they are the "answer" to everything but they certainly do function in ways others cannot.
A friend of mine who still lives on the west coast of B.C. ties up a bunch of short tubes with different colours of marabou and flash, then stacks them in what he calls a "Modular" tube fly. He can mix and match a number of different colours fairly easily.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
I have made some out of the plastic Q-Tip stems, they work pretty well.
I am not convinved they are the "answer" to everything but they certainly do function in ways others cannot.
A friend of mine who still lives on the west coast of B.C. ties up a bunch of short tubes with different colours of marabou and flash, then stacks them in what he calls a "Modular" tube fly. He can mix and match a number of different colours fairly easily.
Interesting idea....My buddy brought a video and a bunch of his tubes he's tied to show me the possibilities...One of the items he brought along was different hooks he'd tied tails on. Change a hook and get a completely different look; it was pretty neat. I was looking at the q-tips we have at home, they would definitely work. I guess I'll be playing with tubes in the near future...

Dan