OK, enough of winter already!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow! You have more snow than we do! It snowed here twice this week but melted off pretty quickly and is supposed to snow tonight and then warm up for the next several days. Come on warm wx!

Larry

Rip Tide

Reaction score
We're getting that storm tonight. Happy April Fools !!

I turned my garden over yesterday so that I could plant my peas (late) ... still frozen :icon_sad:

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I am with you guys. I got excited when I saw ocean water temperatures hit 43 a week or two ago, now I don't even want to look at it. Oh well, at least the cold doesn't bother the trout!

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
You think you guys have snow Dan? Here's a pic from last weekend after another 4 ft of snow dumped on the mountains. Record snow falls this year of over 700 inches and it's supposed to be 80 tomorrow. The Truckee is going to be BLOWN OUT!!! We don't get the freezing cold temps though.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
That's ice where those guys are parked. They are on the river ice fishing. ( you can see two docks and a bridge. The building to the right of the lamp post is Canadian Customs.) They are still fishing there, but I think the ice may not be safe there for long. It's opening up coming down the river. There's open water about 12 miles or so from where this picture was taken. We have a limited harvest Walleye season till the 15th, and there are about a ton of people up here. We get on a good day, around 250 truck/boats per access. It's pandamonium.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I don't think this cold weather is ever going to end, it's only going to be in the mid seventies tomorrow so I still can't wear my shorts while wading. :D On a more serious note how do you rate the fishing right after break up, good, okay or poor. Understanding of course any day fishing is a great day!

Dave....brrrrrr

Pocono

Reaction score
It snowed 8" in the past 24 hours; I'm giving up on fishing this weekend - and going skiing instead!!

Pocono

Davo

Reaction score
It snowed 8" in the past 24 hours; I'm giving up on fishing this weekend - and going skiing instead!!

Pocono
Pocono

Hang in there it is coming. Made it out yesterday with a couple buddies on the Snake River. Actually got up to 52 by the end of the day. Started out at 45 at 8:00AM. Really nice to get out and float the river. Fish are still moving slow as the water is still around 40 degrees. Winter is still trying to hang on but it's fighting a loosing battle!!:D

Davo

Reaction score
Well winter is winding down here in the Rockies however slowly. The hillsides are starting to peak through the snow, but the mountains are still buried. Temps creeping out of the 30's on occasion. The forecast are still calling for some snow with the chance of rain which is new. Here is what our waters are looking like for the near future.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On a more serious note how do you rate the fishing right after break up, good, okay or poor.
Up here people come from everywhere to fish as the ice goes out. People are pushing boats, and not just little ones, over shelf ice to get into the river. We have a million plus acre lake that the Walleyes come out of and run the river in the spring. This is a world class fishery when they are spread out, so you can imagine what it's like when they are packed into the river. It can be the most amazing fishing you ever saw, till the other rivers coming in let go and muddy it up. Up till then though most people would think you were lying about it it's so good. The crowds are probably the worst you have ever seen. I'll post photos as soon as I can.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry about taking so long to get to the photos. But here they finally are. As soon as the ice starts to break up on the river, guys show up with boats and start shoving them over the shelf ice into the river. Not all of them are little boats either. You have to see this done to believe it. The first photo is of the river when it is first breaking up at one of the boat accesses.

This next picture is of the edge of the ice they are shoving boats over. And by the way, this is better than alot of what I've seen boats shoved over. Getting the boat in is the easy part.

Once the ice gets close to shore they either get the county to come in with a back hoe and chop out the ice, or like here do it the old fashioned way with ice chisels.

Once the ramp is clear and the closest one to the end of the open water, this is what the ramps look like. The next picture is of one of the ramps at 5:00 in the morning. It was in the low 20's.

This next one is the other side of the freeway from the boat ramp. These are boats waiting to just get into the lot to put their boats in. This was at 5:30 in the morning.

At 7:15 in the morning, the line waiting to cross the highway and get into the boat ramp, goes over the hill and out of sight. There are already no places to park in the lot and they were parking on the roads on the other side of the highway. Notice the parked rigs over the hill and out of sight in both directions.

On really busy days, we make them jacknife the trailers into the ditches along the roads so the guys can pack more rigs in, and people don't have to hike as far.

People come from all over the country and put up with the worst crowds you have ever seen, cold weather, ice and crud floating down the river. All of this because on a good day you can catch numerous Walleye all bigger than most people will ever see. EVER. TV shows are filmed during this every year. Here I am with Al Lindner, famous fisherman and TV host. (I'm the cute one:thumbsup:)

It stays like this till the Bigfork and Littlefork River let loose. When they go, the Rainy River fills with ce chunks, trees, and really muddy water. The water comes up several feet and the speed picks up a lot. This kills the fishing and everyone but a few hardcore Sturgeon fishermen go home. This last photo is of the river after that has happened. Notice the boat on the wrong side of the flow trying to figure out how to get back to the boat ramp.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dan: Amazing photos, all of you are nuts.................I mean addicted!:D
I thought I had a bad case of fly fishing addiction, but you have me beat by a mile. I'm taking tomorrow off work and heading out fishing, if the roads are open, it was snowing earlier, we probably got another 2" of the horrid white stuff, but hopefully that will be it for the evening. Keeping fingers crossed!

Larry