Toon advice

Fishstick

Reaction score
So what's ur favorite cartoon.....just kidding.Looking for my first pontoon. Need recommendations for a dependable, river capable (slow moving water) toon in the mid price range. Say $600.00 - 800.00. I've spent some hours in a float tube, but never a toon. For those more experienced, your advice is appreciated.

MikeLove

Reaction score
I enjoy fishing out of my fish cat 8ft pontoon. It has dual 10 in pontoons on each side and has less wind drag than some 16 inch pontoons..I haul mine in the back of my truck to ponds and use it on slow moving rivers for float trips. If you enjoy only fishing with a buddy make sure he buys one too or you will be taking your flat bottom boat..I find the pontoon quieter in the water than my alum boat..The pontoon is easy to step out of and fish a shoal on a river and is easier to drag up a shoal than a boat..

I have added a standing platform that slides out from under the seat and find it very usedfull. I do always drop anchor when standing..some models like the sunrise have this platform for $1000.oo. It would be my choice if you want to stand up.. You can strip your steamers faster standing on the platform....Hows that?

Trucha

Reaction score
I have a River Otter that I love. It has rocker style pontoons and can handle up to class III water (like I am going to go down a rapid). It handles well and moves very nice with either oars or fins. I have hauled it on cars, my bronco and breaks down nicely. Once you try a pontoon, it is hard to get into a tube again. You can do a google search for River Otter.

Joni

Reaction score
Rivers around here and my self included require at least a 9'. I am sold on the Cardiac Canyon. Best bladders money can buy and aluminum frame. Heck, Scadden test these things out personally.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have an 8' Scadden I bought from Joni 5-6 yrs ago. Best investment I have made in along time. Paid $400 and it came with extra long compartments on it. I replaced the oars when I got to AZ, I love it. It is heavy and in my condition I am considering selling it as it kicks my ass now. I am considering a Super Fat Cat.

Fishstick

Reaction score
Research and comments thus far are stearing me in the direction of the skykomish sunrise. I like the stow-away feature of the casting deck and rail. Any comments on this particular craft. Also interested in any comments on the waterskeeter fishguide. The forward casting deck is almost a must in my book. Comments?

Bugchecker

Reaction score
I love my bucks bag bronco but it is a little heavy so i built a wheel for it. They have a new one with a casting deck but i am not sure i would like it. I love fishing out of the bronco it is the most comfortable way to fish i have ever experenced. the only complant i have read about the sunrise was a guy complained that the deck was to small for people with big feet. I have seen and talked to many people that use the otters and have never heard a complaint. I went through 5 toons before i found the one i like. If you can try one out before you buy it would help. Although I never had a problem selling the other boats.

Joni

Reaction score
Fishstick said:
Research and comments thus far are stearing me in the direction of the skykomish sunrise. I like the stow-away feature of the casting deck and rail. Any comments on this particular craft. Also interested in any comments on the waterskeeter fishguide. The forward casting deck is almost a must in my book. Comments?
From what I am reading on other forums (and Larry Tullis confirmed it) the casting deck on the Skykomish is designed for smaller feet and the oar risers really could be higher. In fact they have a new model coming out that is suppose to correct these problems.