Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fast Water

1. Default Fast Water

Hello all! I was wondering how everyone here fished the faster water? Where I normally fly fish, the Hiwassee River here in TN, they are running water almost constantly, having displacements between 1,100 cfs and 2,000 cfs. I'm still pretty new at fly fishing and have no idea how to fish all the riffles, runs, and plunge pools that are created when they run water, without creating major drag on the fly. I'm not even sure what type of fly to use to try and fish this type of water with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Aaron

2. Default Re: Fast Water

I went trout fishing last weekend without much luck. Fish were everywhere you looked but I couldn't get any takers. I asked some guys what I was doing wrong and a couple guys told me that line drag is what they thought was causing me problems. They suggested to try to fish upstream and not across. If I did fish across, to try to control my line drag. They did say that the flies I used should have produced some strikes. Oh, the flies I used were scuds, sow bugs, midges, trout crack, sanwan worms, and woolybuggers.

3. Default Re: Fast Water

Sorry about the spelling, I think that was san juan worms.