Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Time to introduce myself.

Hi folks,

I've been lurking on this forum since January, sucking up some good info.

I'm a 67 year old retiree living in Eagle, CO. I've been fishing with a fly rod since I was six, but back then it was garden hackle and grasshoppers. I really got into flies when the Navy sent me to Idaho to learn how to operate a nuclear power plant. I spent two wonderful summers fishing everything from the Madison to the South Fork and lots of stuff in between.

During my 27 year Navy career, I didn't get a chance to fish as much as I wanted to, but then neither does anybody with a day job, I suppose. I did score three fantastic weeks in New Zealand in 1976 fishing the Tongariro River and some other Lake Taupo feeder streams. A few years later I spent a week with Ted & Mary Gerkin, founders of Iliaska Lodge on Lake Iliamna, Alaska. Daily fly out to a new stream every day was not at all tough to take.

We moved to Colorado in 1992 so I could try my hand at making atomic bombs, but that was no fun, so I quit and became a fly fishing guide in summers and DW and I taught skiing in winter. We did that for nine years, and are now retired from both gigs, but still ski all winter and fish all summer.

Don't let the fact that I guided intimidate anybody. I can still tie a wind knot with the best of them.

I hope to be able to participate some on this forum from time to time.

And proving that we can all still learn, I had never heard of a furled leaders until I found this forum. I've recenty got Kathy Scott's DVD on making them and am making up a mess of them for the coming season.

Chris

Default Re: Time to introduce myself.

Welcome, Chris.

This is a great place isn't it? I don't know if you read the forum rules, but the new guy always buys first round.

Looking forward to hearing your stories and reports.

Welcome Chris!
    Check out thew best page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/383970318419257/

Blog Entries

Chris: Welcome to the forum, looking forward to having you aboard! Living on the Eagle puts you into some fine fishing water!

Larry
    Larry

Welcome to the forum Chris, this is a wonderful site even though they allow me to make posts. We will be waiting for some stories and we love pics...lol

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Welcome to the Forum Chris...

Dan

Blog Entries

Welcome Chris, forum good, wind knots...not.
    I should add, if you "weary" of skiing and fishing at home, this would be a good year to visit out here.
    Lots of snow, and a few fish.

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 04-02-2011 at 06:49 PM.