Hooking a small bird in mid flight

tycabral

Reaction score
My friend and I had left our house to make a day for fly fishing new streams in the Flathead Valley in Northwest Montana. Checking our map, we saw a popular river we had never fished. After driving for about an hour we pulled off and began fishing a spot surrounded by trees. Doing my best to avoid the trees and brush, my first cast tugged suddenly as I thought i had hooked a tree to my right. Looking up immediately, I saw a small bird's flight being restricted due to being hooked by my fly. The bird tried to fly away and began pulling all of my slack off. As soon as all my slack was gone the bird dropped to the water and I thought i had no choice but to reel it in and hopefully it was stuck somewhere where i could pull it out and set the bird free.

Unfortunately, when I finally "landed the bird", the bird was already dead, as the fly had punctured the bird through its neck. I was simply shocked and upset about the accident, and I was really wondering how often a bird is hooked by a fly fisherman. I was also wondering if it is possible that the bird was going for the fly? Any comments or answers would be greatly appreciated!

Chris Hewett

Reaction score
In more than 30 years of fly fishing, I have never hooked a bird.
If the bird was a type that eats insects (swallow, flycatcher) it may have been going after the fly. Otherwise it may have just been very unlucky and flown into your line on the back cast.

Bats are another story. I have hooked several of them.

LoneFlinger

Reaction score
fshfanatic said:
I have never hooked a bird, but I have caught a few bats.
I came into this thread to say the same damn thing. I've had a bat pull a #14 miller off the water.

lf

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
LoneFlinger said:
I came into this thread to say the same damn thing. I've had a bat pull a #14 miller off the water.

lf
Thats the easy way.. Now catch them out of the air! ;)