Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some glass for a change

Blog Entries

Default some glass for a change

i just won an eagle claw feather light 6'6" fiberglass stick on fleabay. havent fished glass in a long time, should be fun.

---------- Post added at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:30 PM ----------

reel for that stick?

ARFE

Blog Entries

Default Re: some glass for a change

Quote Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
    i just won an eagle claw feather light 6'6" fiberglass stick on fleabay. havent fished glass in a long time, should be fun.

---------- Post added at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:30 PM ----------

reel for that stick?
    I'd keep it old school with a click and pawl drag reel.
    Pflueger Medalist
    Martin 61
    Cortland Crown

MP

Blog Entries

Congrats! I've gotten to the point were I fish glass almost exclusively. I just like the feel a lot better.

I agree with MP. I have a similar rod that I put on a Medalist with a 6wt line on it and it works great.
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

I have one in the 7' length and it's a versatile rod. Be nice if they'd offer a better grade (handle, reel seat & hardware), though. The cork handle peeled/flaked off on mine (thin cork veneer over a lower grade cork base).
    The fiberglass rod blank itself seems to be decent quality for the low price.

What is considered the primo Glass rod out there? I often come accoss them but have no idea of the quality and value. I have considered a nice Fenwick since I fished fenwik glass spinning rods since I was a kid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
    What is considered the primo Glass rod out there? I often come accoss them but have no idea of the quality and value. I have considered a nice Fenwick since I fished fenwik glass spinning rods since I was a kid.
    Tracker: These folks make some fine rods:
    http://www.sweetgrassrods.com/index....d=29&Itemid=36

Tom Morgan Rodsmiths - Fiberglass Rods

I've seen others at the fly fishing shows, hopefully Mojo will see your question and chime in!

Larry
    Larry

Larry
    Very nice looking rods from both of those builders. But I have no interest in putting that amount of $$$ in a Glass rod. I think I'll stick with and old Fenwick or Shakespeare to fool around with. Match is up with a Medalist and I will be good to go.
    Last edited by Tracker12; 04-04-2011 at 01:27 PM.

For vintage production rods, it's hard to beat a Phillipson. They also made the blanks for rods by Orvis, LLBean, Abercrombie & Fitch and other smaller fly shops. Scott and Winston would be other obvious choices
    Silaflex and the Scientific Angler " System" rods were both very good as were the higher end rods from Heddon, Berkley, Wright&McGill, St Croix, and others
    Fenwick and Shakespeare rods are probably the most readily available and have plenty of fans.
    I like the Shakespeare Wonder rods, but the only Fenwick that I have is uncastable....Maybe it's just me.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas

I have an eagle claw featherlight and I am a big fan. I am not sure if it is because I live in Bozeman, but the local wal-mart sells them for 20 dollars.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Yesterday was 'Day One' with my new 10' 6" glass switch rod on the Rogue. 31' scandi head/9' leader (can't remember the line grain weight) and step into the river.

Usually I can pick up darned near any 2-hander/line combo and have it (somewhat) 'dialed in' within a half a dozen casts. Not with this Puppy. Took close to a half hour to get the feel/hang of how this guy needed to work.

Finally went to very tight body (arms/elbows tight to body) Scandi underhand casting and ZING!

Totally different Animal from any of my graphite 2-handers. Amazing.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast