First day out this year

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Well here it is Jan. 18th and I finaly made it out today. Took my wife and friend to the spring river and what a morning. Crisp (29 deg.) foggy start to the morning, with in 5 minutes our hands were so cold they started to hurt then went numb, but the fish were hitting so we toughed it out. The two biggest fish were a 18" bow my wife caught and a 17" bow I landed, dont know how many fish were caught, but several and all three of us landed some. There was also a wide range of fish caught from bows and a small brown I caught to two smallmouth my wife caught and a couple bluegill my friend and I caught, even one shinner and a sucker. Just as the day was warming up our friends daughter had somehting happen with her eye and we drove back to town early, but she is fine and things like that happen so ni biggie on ending the trip early.
Maybe next week, its the Norfolk river, chances for cutthroat and brookies.
Bear

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Thanks ya'all. My wife was so damn cute the way she got excited catching that nice bow, looked like a little kid, ofcourse I am STILL hearing about her catching the big fish of the day lol.
It was good seeing her and my friend haveing a good time and catching a few fsh. At times I would just stand back on the bank warming my hands and watching them.
Bear

flytyer_neal

Reaction score
sounds like a wonderful time.....my son ( 10 ) Chase is going with me in two weeks...he's already in the back yard practice casting.....he has a 5wt 8' generic rod, I think south bend.....it's an old rod of mine.....( he still catches alot of trees ) but he has an okuma reel......works great.....still trying to decide where to go. It's so wonderful to see others catching fish, it reminds us what it was like when we first started.

yatahey

Reaction score
Way to go Bear. First day out of the year is always exciting. Congratz to the wife too.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
sounds like a wonderful time.....my son ( 10 ) Chase is going with me in two weeks...he's already in the back yard practice casting.....he has a 5wt 8' generic rod, I think south bend.....it's an old rod of mine.....( he still catches alot of trees ) but he has an okuma reel......works great.....still trying to decide where to go. It's so wonderful to see others catching fish, it reminds us what it was like when we first started.
good to hear your son is into flyfishing at an early age, I hope you two have a great trip

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Way to go Bear. First day out of the year is always exciting. Congratz to the wife too.
Thank you sir, it was a fun trip

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Thank you sir, it was a fun trip

jcw355

Reaction score
Well here it is Jan. 18th and I finaly made it out today. Took my wife and friend to the spring river and what a morning. Crisp (29 deg.) foggy start to the morning, with in 5 minutes our hands were so cold they started to hurt then went numb, but the fish were hitting so we toughed it out. The two biggest fish were a 18" bow my wife caught and a 17" bow I landed, dont know how many fish were caught, but several and all three of us landed some. There was also a wide range of fish caught from bows and a small brown I caught to two smallmouth my wife caught and a couple bluegill my friend and I caught, even one shinner and a sucker. Just as the day was warming up our friends daughter had somehting happen with her eye and we drove back to town early, but she is fine and things like that happen so ni biggie on ending the trip early.
Maybe next week, its the Norfolk river, chances for cutthroat and brookies.
Bear
Glad you had a good day, where you fishing the white river?

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Thanks,
We were fishing the Sprng River that day, the Little Red River is like 3 minutes from my front door but all the rain has got that messed up for a couple more weeks