Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Food saver vs Handi vac need advice

We have a food saver and love it. We buy whole strip beef and pork lions. I cut them into steaks and chops and we freeze one meal per bag with wax paper between them (helps to separate them when thawing). They last a long long time.

However, with the fish I keep (walleye and panfish, mostly perch) we put a meals worth of filets into a zip lock bag, fill the bag with water and freeze it. They last easily 6 months to a year and almost newer show any signs of freezer burn.

Thanks guys for all your input. Im not going to save stock trout...yuck. something about fish that eats power bait sounds gross. i think im going to try the glazing thing with ice. If that dont work then the food saver. The hatchery salmon run on the coast is big. last year i was in a hole by my self with 9 huge fish. i caught one. didnt know what i was doing but now im confident that i can slay them. The guy that came after me slayed 60lb Chinook! so i plan on going after them in the spring. Its the only fishery that is good here at that time. thanks again guys for all the input. I feel more confident shelling out $150+.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    . . . Before the modern tech of vacuum sealed freezing, fish were put head first into a 1/2 gallon milk carton filled with water, and then frozen. . . .
    Boy, Frank, you must be from my generation - that's what I used to do back in the 1970's. Only problem was, while that kept them from being freezer-burned, if you had much of a catch those milk cartons took up a lot of room in the freezer.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12