B-day wish list

bloodhound

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a problem with my wife has no idea what to get me for my Birthday and i do not want her to spend too much money for it as i have eveything i want in her. now i do need hooks, CDC, (want a few rite bobbins) ect, ect, but that is a little to specific for me to let her surprise me without either me putting it in an online basket or her getting the wrong items. So does anyone have a good review for a leader tying kit. other than that i think she will get me an xbox 360, all is good i want to play Fornza 3 racing sim. BUT i do not want her spending that much on me as i will not be able to spend that on her so any FF'ing simple and effective suggestions would be appretiated BTW i have till Wed 3 Feb.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
First off, Happy Birthday...If you have a fly shop near you a gift certificate would be the answer...She will know you got what you would like, and you get what you really want...

Dan

luked

Reaction score
First off, Happy Birthday...If you have a fly shop near you a gift certificate would be the answer...She will know you got what you would like, and you get what you really want...

Dan
Yep i love gettin gife cards and so on...much better gift in my opinion...even if its to Bass Pro or Cabelas or whatever..gift cards are the best

arfishinbear

Reaction score
If you dont like the gift card thing and you have a fly shop near you, just tell her to go and buy you tying material, tell her to pick out what ever she wants and then learn to ty new patterns with what she buys. :cool:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm with Dave and MP
All the gear in the world is worthless if you don't use it.
Go somewhere cool for a long weekend

FrankB2

Reaction score
If you were looking for a leader kit, I was happy with the Orvis kit I bought
around 6 years ago. I've replaced all of the spools several times, using both
Orvis and Rio leader material. Tying different types of leaders can be a lot of
fun, and they do perform differently than extruded leaders.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi bloodhound,

I solved the "what to buy me for any occasion" a long time ago. Here is what I do. I take the Feather Craft catalog and mark anything I would like to get with a red marker. I pick all levels of cost and she can decide what she wants to spends. This way it is easy for my wife and I always get something I want and it is always a surprise. Most of the time she picked the more expensive items.

Frank

bloodhound

Reaction score
wow Frank that is an awesome idea like when your parents told you to circle what you wanted in a toys are us, fleet farm, cabelas, ect ect. i likey i likey, but i also like the idea of her buying me material's for tying and then trying new patterns with what she picks, i have aboslutely no practical knowledge on anything but killer trout "candy" and i tie experimental variations and decide what is the best pattern for me and laugh at the guys who fish one hole upstream from me and catch nop fish or maybe 1-2 fish and i come and come clean house behind them with, for example a variation of a PT nymph but using ostrich herl in olive for the abdomen and rust brown/ ice dub mix thorax and a black brass bead because i like not pounding the bottom sometimes. or a hares ear somewhat like the TPO Torey's improved hares ear, but with a brushier fatter body and a little wiggle rubber in the abdomen and always tie it ahead of a size 22 zebra midge with a ball of rusty gold ice dub as like a behind the bead puff. i have caught the biggest trout i have ever caught in south eastern MN in a 19" brown on a size 16 toreys improved hares ear using olive hares ear instead of natural and a somewhat soft hackle behind the bead (SH was almost too long) one of my uglier ties and being the hole i was fishing i chose my least proud of ties and boom there it was. sorry guys having a moment there.

bloodhound

Reaction score
funny you should say that Daytripper,
My wife actually handed me an acordian folded piece of paper that said happe birthday, open it to see she photoshopped a picture of me with my first 20"+ brown on a flyrod, and below it put an unconditional 3 day 2 night fishing vacation for me. if i want to go alone cool with her, if i want to drag my step father off the farm cool with her, if i want her there cool with her (like i would go without her) and i can pick when, where (within reason) and if i want it to be boat fishing walleyes with my uncle on the mississippi river, or a canoe down the root river for 3 days thats cool with her. so in my opinion this is the best present i have ever gotten, i told her dont spend alot on me as we are still catching up from christmas and this is what she got me.
couldnt be more thrilled, this rivals say a DeYoung custom Abel reel, winston BIIx, parts i need for my LS1 powered nissan, ect. ect.