A question and idea....what do you all think

luked

Reaction score
ok so being a beginner and very new to this again and wasnt ever any good really to start with:D i wanted to run an idea past you all and see what you thought.....i know from reading some posts here that we have a vast array of experience levels of the members here with more knoledge of a lot of things about the sport....so heres the idea.....with so many mambers and im sure there are some guys out there diggin for info on various things....what would your ideas be about sending videos or DVDs....heres what im thinkin,.....if you got a vid that might be some use to someone.....say a tying video...post what you have as far as the video goes....if someone would like to see it they post that they would...then on down the line...so if i post i have this video and member 1 wants it...i send it to him/her...member 2 wants to see it...member 1 sends it to member 2 and so on...kind of on down the line.....do you think that would work ok? anyone have any ideas or opinions.....was jsut a thought that i had since some of these vids are pretty pricy and would be nice for a member to view many as possible.....if the owner of the vid wanted it back to watch again or whatever they could get it back and then start all over with the person next on the list.....maybe the members that viewed it would toss something in for the owner of the vid say a fly or two and the flys keep stackin up for the owner and so on.....what you guys think? i think we have a bunch of honest people here and i wouldnt be worried to send a vid out that i have and worry about getting it back

raindogt

Reaction score
Interesting idea--- I would have to be 'out' as I have no videos (of any of my hobbies.....) But, this time of year, i think you would find quite a few people on board-- during the 'season' I would expect to see a taper down....

The only issue I would see is most 'instructional' vids can be found, easily, online... Now for pure 'entertainment' purposes, this could work (ie.- 'pirates of the flats' video-- where it is more informative/ entertainment about the sport as a whole rather than an instructional about a given facet (tying a wooly for example...)

my .02

ant

Reaction score
My .02 is that I would be worried about infringing on copyright laws. If a person is posting online that they have a video that anyone can borrow, the producer of that video may be able to sue for copyright infringement.

Or I could be completely wrong.... :)

I would say before anyone moves forward on this, to consult an attorney, before they find out the hard way that this is not kosher.

Ant

luked

Reaction score
My .02 is that I would be worried about infringing on copyright laws. If a person is posting online that they have a video that anyone can borrow, the producer of that video may be able to sue for copyright infringement.

Or I could be completely wrong.... :)

I would say before anyone moves forward on this, to consult an attorney, before they find out the hard way that this is not kosher.

Ant
i see your point Ant...but the vid isnt copied its just borrowed...nothing diffrent than lending a DVD movie to my mom the copyright infringement is if the movie is copied as far as i know

Rip Tide

Reaction score
You may want to look into your local clubs like TU and the FFF affiliates
I know our club has a lending library for both books and videos
I believe it's 5 bucks to rent a DVD and you get it for a month

Although I have lots of fly fishing books and better than 25 years worth of fly magazines, I only own one video.
It's Lefty Kreh's, Salt Water Fly Tying on VHS. You can borrow it if you want. I won it in a raffle and I think I've watched it all of once

luked

Reaction score
like i said just thought it might be a fun idea to try not a big deal really jsut tossin out the idea

ant

Reaction score
i see your point Ant...but the vid isnt copied its just borrowed...nothing diffrent than lending a DVD movie to my mom the copyright infringement is if the movie is copied as far as i know
I agree with you completely. But I can also see some company thinking that our borrowing is cutting into their profits, and I've never known a company to like that. And if it's posted online then they have proof. Just tread carefully my friend. :thumbup: