Galvan Customer Service!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Last year I bought a used Galvan OB-6 reel from EBay. Soon after I noticed the drag adjustment was binding, it had about a half turn of adjustment from full lock down to maybe a 2-4 lb pull but I like my drag set pretty light, just a tad above free spool for those fish that really like to hammer the fly. I made due with the reel during the fishing season, but wasn't real happy with the situation. During the winter, I called Galvan and told them about the drag issues and that I bought the reel on EBay and would like to have the reel looked at and fixed if possible. They told me the reel had been discontinued because of isses with the drag from using that model reel in the salt and it wasn't designed for that. I told them I would be happy to pay any charges. Yesterday the reel arrived back at the house and when I opened it up the drag works butter smooth and the invoice said no charge! I was a bit confused so I called Galvan and relayed to them that I didn't expect for them to fix the rod for free, but they insisted that there wouldn't be any fee. Well I just want to say that my hat is off to Galvan for their fantastic customer service, now that is a great way to treat your customer base! In the future, when I need a new reel I sure know where I will be shopping!

Larry

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Good to hear Larry. I own the OB-2 for my 4 wts and love the warm-butter smoothness of it. After having it for a while and taking it apart etc I wasn't sure about the drag/clutch mechanism. It works great now, but too many little parts and surfaces etc. I've been trying to find the perfect, bulletproof system without breakable/bendable/detachable lose-able parts etc but I havn't found it yet. I'll keep searching for one that I can't find anything to nit-pick about. Not happy to hear that it broke on you, but good news about their service.

On the flip, recently had some poor customer service from Redington. My CT arrived (from authorized dealer) with a broken tube zipper. They won't send one out to me; tubes are not covered under warranty. Now I have to return the rod to the dealer on my shipping dime etc. to get it replaced with a new one. They wouldn't let me go any higher up the chain of management and told me there was absolutely no way they would send me a tube. I offered to send the dated reciept (from a week ago)/pictures of the broken zipper etc. I told them my $150 CT is going to end up costing me 165 and an extra two weeks because I have to send it back, they werent concerned. Of course I didn't tell them I won it on e-bay for $71, but it was from an authorized dealer. That is none of their business. But, my great deal just got a little less great because they can't ship out undamaged products, and won't fix it when they do.

goldentrout

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues to speak of with Galvan but I have talked to them 2or 3 times. Very nice folks. There is a real cult following of Galvan fans in Ca. and NV.. You know, Galvan being local and all. I was just asking some questions one day and a salesman got snippy with me defending Galvan. They know all the family members names and birthdays and shook someones hand one time and stuff.

My Standard 3.25 is my favorite reel.......for today anyway!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Good to hear Larry. I own the OB-2 for my 4 wts and love the warm-butter smoothness of it. After having it for a while and taking it apart etc I wasn't sure about the drag/clutch mechanism. It works great now, but too many little parts and surfaces etc. I've been trying to find the perfect, bulletproof system without breakable/bendable/detachable lose-able parts etc but I havn't found it yet. I'll keep searching for one that I can't find anything to nit-pick about. Not happy to hear that it broke on you, but good news about their service.

On the flip, recently had some poor customer service from Redington. My CT arrived (from authorized dealer) with a broken tube zipper. They won't send one out to me; tubes are not covered under warranty. Now I have to return the rod to the dealer on my shipping dime etc. to get it replaced with a new one. They wouldn't let me go any higher up the chain of management and told me there was absolutely no way they would send me a tube. I offered to send the dated reciept (from a week ago)/pictures of the broken zipper etc. I told them my $150 CT is going to end up costing me 165 and an extra two weeks because I have to send it back, they werent concerned. Of course I didn't tell them I won it on e-bay for $71, but it was from an authorized dealer. That is none of their business. But, my great deal just got a little less great because they can't ship out undamaged products, and won't fix it when they do.
Last year I was looking for another reel and Frank had mentioned a couple times that he really loves his Galvan OB reel so I thought I would give it a try and I too really liked the reel, with the minor issue with the drag, but as it turns out I'm totally impressed with Galvan's customer service. They repaired the reel "No Charge" and sent it back and they even absorbed the shipping charges, how good is that!

Sorry to hear about the hassle with your Redington and the run around, that isn't a very good way to win over a customer!

Larry

joshuanoerr

Reaction score
That is quite a timely post my friend because I have been seriously looking at Galvan for about a month now. This definitely will weigh into the decision!

Jimmie

Reaction score
Nice to hear about good customer service. Still an important issue to me.

Flip side I recently had a partial order filled. $4.20 of product; $6 shipping and handling. Caveat Emptor.............