Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Video on Sharkskin Line

I have been considering getting one of the Sharkskin lines. Every review I have read talks about the sound the line makes as it is going through the guides. For some it does not bother them, but for others the sound seems to be enough to keep them from using the line. I ran across the following video and you can clearly hear the sound this line makes. I thought it might be of interest to someone interested in the line, but is concerned about the sound the line makes. You can decide for yourself. For me, I'm on the fence about it.

Jeff Putnam's Fly Fishing Schools - Online Instructional Video Series

Scroll down the list of videos on the right hand side and click on the Sharkskin Flyline video.

2. Default Re: Video on Sharkskin Line

Cool video! Yes, it is about right on sound. What, you have never wore corduroy? Or the swishing of new levis as you walk? Better yet, the sound of your breathables as you walk a river?

I am betting 90% of the people that have a problem with the SOUND of Shark Skin, in truth, have more of a problem with the $ of it.
    I can't imagine everyone that has posted about the line has actually OWNED it. Because if they did own it, I am sure they would see as I do, that the +'s outweigh the sound.
    (I am sure there are some that do own it that don't like it)

Specially on a river...the sound is NOT a big deal!

The line IS the best I have ever used and I have tried a bunch. I have the Trout for my 4, the GPX for my 5 and the Spey. My next investment will be a 6 weight.

Default Re: Video on Sharkskin Line

I am in the process of putting it on all my reels. It is that good as far as I am concerned. (I have 7 reels)
    Dave Watts
    dmwphoto@mac.com

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.

I tried a Sharkskin line when they first came out. I don't recall any noise, but
    it's easy to hear who's using it on videos. I kind of make me crazy to hear it
    on video, but I simply do not remember any sound when I tried it a few years
    ago.......

I think the noise people hear is when lawn or parking lot casting SS. Rivers and streams are noisy, and mask the 'sound'. I don't notice it that much and it bothers me nada.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

I pay extra for that sound! It reminds me of using a silk line and it is just another way to let me know what the line is doing.

tx... which of the videos is it on?

I think that Sharkskin is by far the best line available.
    It casts very far, floats the highest of all the lines, easy mending, no memory and the noise doesn't bother me at all..... of course I played a guitar very loud in my younger days!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post

tx... which of the videos is it on?
    Scroll down the list of videos on the right hand side and click on the Sharkskin Flyline video.

Like Joni & others have said, it's hard to believe that the sound going through the guides would put off anyone. I use - & like the sound of - click & pawl reels, so for me the sound of a Sharkskin going through the guides would be another nice sound I associate with the pleasure of fly-fishing.

However, the hand abrasion caused by stripping the line, that may be another matter . . .
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Quote Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
    However, the hand abrasion caused by stripping the line, that may be another matter . . .
    I found the same thing. But I can still strip the line, just a little different.
    Stripping is a horrible way to fly fish anyway..... why not use a spin rod if that's all you do.
    Or, use a two hand strip with a basket, just tuck the rod under your arm..... it's what the barracuda fly guys do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast