Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing shades

1. Default Re: Fishing shades

polarized a must. I never pay more that 15 bucks only because I seem to break or misplace them on a regular basis.....
    The head, the tail, the whole damn thing

2. Default Re: Fishing shades

I used to buy the cheapo polarized glasses and was always breaking them or losing them, but I got a pair of Action Optics from a really nice guy in Texas and it is amazing how good of care I take with them. Never put them down in a restaurant or put them on the seat of the truck to sit on. I tend to take much better care of them since they are a high quality pair. There is such a difference while on the water when comparing cheap glasses with quality glasses. I will always purchase the best polarized glasses from now on.

Default Re: Fishing shades

Amen on the quality. I got hooked on Serengetis for driving/flying and would never own anything else for those activities. I recently got a pair of Costa Del Mars and think they're pretty doggone good. My ears get kinda tired from being distorted by the frames, but the Costas were great on my trip with Roughrider a couple weeks back - and we were on the water for almost 10 hours. Trust me, when it comes to glasses, you really do get what you pay for.

4. Default Re: Fishing shades

What about us old geezers that have to wear regular glasses ??? Are there any that fir over my reading glasses ???
    Thanks

Stan

keep an eye out at local sporting goods stores. we have a sports authority in town and i picked up a $99 pair of yellow-green framed, polarized Bolles for $7.95 on clearance. my little girl loves them to see fish. i got a pair of discounted hobies with polarized glass copper lenses for $49.

i lose sunglasses like crazy, even though i sometimes use a leash. nothing lasts more than 4-6 months anyway so i cannot fathom spending $100 or more like i have in the past (i grew up wearing B&L raybans... and as a profssional photographer understand the value of good glass).

but still i do think the sunglasses sold in fishing places on the countertop turnstiles with the blue and silver tag labels are good. they sell for something like $25 and are polarized. the poly lenses scratch eventually but they never break and i consider them somewhat disposable in the end, say 3-4 months' time. i always have at least 2 pairs around...

eric
    fresno, ca.

6. Default Re: Fishing shades

Quote Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
    i lose sunglasses like crazy, even though i sometimes use a leash. nothing lasts more than 4-6 months anyway so i cannot fathom spending $100 or more like i have in the past (i grew up wearing B&L raybans... and as a profssional photographer understand the value of good glass).

eric
    fresno, ca.
    I know what your saying. At least every six months for me. My blues are so sensitive to sunlite that I practically live in sunglasses during all seasons so I lose, scratch or just plain destroy them frequently from use. I did fork out 40 bucks for a good pair of polars that stay in my fishing vest and I've had them for years. Guess that means I'm just not fishing enough. The one expensive pair of raybans that I did buy are currently sitting on the bottom of the Santa Ynez River and that happened on the first day that I had them.
    The head, the tail, the whole damn thing

What about us old geezers that have to wear regular glasses ??? Are there any that fir over my reading glasses ???

Hi Stan,

Yes there are sun glasses that fit over you normal glasses. Some people really like them but I prefer prescription glasses. They are around $40 and I think there are two sizes. They do give a lot of protection and are good quality.

Cocoons Sunglasses

8. Default Re: Fishing shades

Thanks Frank, I wear prescription glasses that turn dark with the sun but they aren't polarized. I was thinking of something to wear over them..

Stan

9. Default Re: Fishing shades

My $0.02: I went to Walmart and had their optical department put a set of polarized, bifocal lenses in my prescription in a regular set of Titanium frames. The frames are TiFlex, and they are light as a feather. I chose a small seg for the bifocals. I wanted to be able to see to tie on a fly, but I won't be reading in these glasses. I got a ten percent discount because I have BCBS insurance, even though the insurance has nothing at all to do with vision! Total cost was in the $215 dollar range.

The bottom line: The glasses are great, the polarization is excellent, and they have served me quite well for fishing and for driving. I got my prescription without clipons or wraparounds. I had checked internet pricing on name brands like RayBan, and they were uniformly $100-140 more than the Walmart glasses. I was able to get my optometrist to write out my prescription -- his price for the same thing bordered on laughable. Finally I have to state that it was my wife's idea to send my to Wally World for the specs. Who'd have thunk it?

This is not a great pic. I just laid the glasses down on my desk. The chums were not included, by the way!

Good luck!

Clemson

10. Default Re: Fishing shades

I prefer costa del mar. glass lenses blue mirror/grey tint. I fish lots of open water and sandy grassy flats. they work ok for low light conditions, but work the best in bright light. they are a little higher in the price column ($150-$200+). I prefer the glass over the plastic because they are a little more scratch resistant.

Costa Del Mar: See What's Out There...
    Let us all share our wisdom with a younger generation. Tight Loops, Tight Lines and Good Fishing to All

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast