Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fishing shades

1. Default Re: Fishing shades

I have been using these Cocoons which just slip over my regular prescription glasses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Fishing shades

The make of good prescription glasses doesn't make much difference. There are only 2 major sources for top quality laminated lenses in the US and all the optometries uses the same lenses. As far as quality of the lenses go you can pick any brand that you like the frames. Glass lenses can be quite heavy in strong prescriptions. Glass will fracture much easier than polycarbonate. The glasses that use Poly lenses are lighter than the ones that use glass lenses.

3. Default Re: Fishing shades

I first of all don't want to say to buy one brand or another but I do have my hand in the sunglass industry alot. I work for Oakley and came out of the Design and R&D dept. before going to sales. I devolped our new fishing glasses and it took me 9 months to get excatly what I wnted. First thing about polarized lens is the polarized chip is in the middle of the lens and acts as a blind with all the slats vertical. That stops scattered light waves from entering the lens thus you have a reduced glare because the light never entered your eye. The problem with polarized lens lies in how the chip is orintated and the material around the chip. You get what you pay for. The chip has to be at a precise 180 degrees or it wont work right and the other issue with the polarized chip is it is glued onto 2 thin pieces of lens material on the front and back of the chip (like a sandwich). The glue can cause huge amounts of distortion because the glue messes up the light waves. It does not matter how thick the lens is. Actually a thick lens in a frame will be the worst because the lens is so tight in the frame the chip is bent at all the contact points. You can pick up a $10 pair of polarized or a $300 pair it does the same thing in theory. You pay for the lens materials, optics, lens coatings and frame material. Ok here is my selling point..Here at Oakley we get around the optical issues with not glueing the chip in and we also have tons of other optical patents and lens coatings that yes I feel we are by far better than anything else on the market. On top of the we have the HDO High Definition Optics that is patented. We are the only company that can correct for the distortion and other issues that happen when you wrap a lens. Think about a glass of water with a straw in it. The straw looks bent. Sunglass lens do the same if they are wrapped. I am glad our new 20 year patient just was renewed on that.

4. Default Re: Fishing shades

I use Bolle "anacondas", they have green lenses and they are polarized. I think i paid 75 for them. I have not had any problems at all with them, they are crystal clear!

5. Default Re: Fishing shades

The old man has the Oakley's and absolutly loves them. I have had Smith/Action Optic for years and I do agree you get what you pay for. You are more careful with a pricier pair.
    Now I wear Orvis HVO's and the Tri-Spectrum. Both are very under rated. They are FANTASTIC, specially the Tri's. I do see fish I had a hard time seeing before. The Tri's enhance the Prismatic colors.
    And they are glass, so no scratching and tuff as heck (plus warranty)
    They are heavier being glass, but the frame has them so well balanced, you DO NOT NOTICE! I can wear them all day with no tired eyes, or head ache.

6. Default Re: Fishing shades

u don't got to go expensive! i got some from that were 10 bux and they work great! they were in the fishing section at walmart. they are renegades or something. says its thicker than most polarized glasses? i can see great! no glare whatsoever!
    they are not dorky looking either they look like oakleys kinda. there were a couple styles to choose from.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123