Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing shades

1. Default Fishing shades

Seems like I remember a thread like this before, but I'm gonna ask anyway. What kind if sun glasses do you guys use? I have just a cheap pair but can't see the fish very good with them. I get alot of glare with them.I tried on a $200 pair a guy at work had and they were crystal clear but more $ than I can go for.

2. Default Re: Fishing shades

If you would like to see the fish 100% better I'd get "em polarized.

3. Default Re: Fishing shades

Yes... they MUST be polarized. You usually get what you pay for when it comes to quality polarized sunglasses. The degree of optical quality in the lenses is usually apparent in the price. The thicker the lenses are the less likely to have waves due to warpage. The waves will certainly decrees visual acuity and comfort. The amount of polarization is greater in higher quality lenses.

You should stick with a trustworthy brand. Good fishing sunglass names include, but are not limited to, Action Optics, Costa DelMar, Maui Jim, Hobie, Flying Fisherman, Oakly, etc...

You can easily pay more than $200 for some of these. However, you can get a very good polarized sunglass for around $59. Seldom will you find an off-the-rack sunglass at WalMart that are worth very much.

OK... What about lens color? The biggest selling color in fly fishing sunglasses is in the brown/amber range. This color seems to work best for spotting trout in medium to shallow streams. The lake fishermen seem to prefer gray polarized lenses. My most favorite sunglass is not made anymore. It is a Hobie Sportsman with yellow polarized lenses. They were not very dark but man... the contrast, visual acuity and ability to spot fish in the streams were fantastic. So, I stick to the brownish/amber/yellow range.

4. Default Re: Fishing shades

if nothing else go and buy a pair of solar bats at wally-world. they run around $30 and my pair have lasted about 3-4yrs.

5. Default Re: Fishing shades

Yea... your probably safe in the $30 range.

6. Default Re: Fishing shades

Quote Originally Posted by The Full Creel
    Yea... your probably safe in the $30 range.
    only problem is though i'm looking for a better pair now. mine kind of get a double and sometimes a triple workout. wading, fishing in the boat, and usually driving to or from the water. time for a new pair.

7. Default Re: Fishing shades

I looked at walley world today and they didn't have any with amber lenses. I am going up to the Norfork river tomorrow till sun and I'll see what I can find at the fly shops.

8. Default Re: Fishing shades

Maui Jim makes, bar none, the absolute best sunglasses on the market. I use them and sell them on Ebay. They are not cheap but they are the best.
    All Means All

9. Default Re: Fishing shades

Maui Jim are great. I was recently at a Costco in Maui that had a nice selection at huge discounts.

I like Sea Strikers for around $30.

Default Re: Fishing shades

I've had Maui Jims, but I actually like my Smith Drifters with copper lenses better. The contrast is better than the rose lenses on the Maui Jims.

I'd recommend watching ebay for discontinued models and such, I got a HE!! of a good deal on mine.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast