Fishing shades

Outdoorarki

Reaction score
Seems like I remember a thread like this before, but I'm gonna ask anyway. What kind if sun glasses do you guys use? I have just a cheap pair but can't see the fish very good with them. I get alot of glare with them.I tried on a $200 pair a guy at work had and they were crystal clear but more $ than I can go for.

FowlHabit

Reaction score
If you would like to see the fish 100% better I'd get "em polarized.:teef:

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Yes... they MUST be polarized. You usually get what you pay for when it comes to quality polarized sunglasses. The degree of optical quality in the lenses is usually apparent in the price. The thicker the lenses are the less likely to have waves due to warpage. The waves will certainly decrees visual acuity and comfort. The amount of polarization is greater in higher quality lenses.

You should stick with a trustworthy brand. Good fishing sunglass names include, but are not limited to, Action Optics, Costa DelMar, Maui Jim, Hobie, Flying Fisherman, Oakly, etc...

You can easily pay more than $200 for some of these. However, you can get a very good polarized sunglass for around $59. Seldom will you find an off-the-rack sunglass at WalMart that are worth very much.

OK... What about lens color? The biggest selling color in fly fishing sunglasses is in the brown/amber range. This color seems to work best for spotting trout in medium to shallow streams. The lake fishermen seem to prefer gray polarized lenses. My most favorite sunglass is not made anymore. It is a Hobie Sportsman with yellow polarized lenses. They were not very dark but man... the contrast, visual acuity and ability to spot fish in the streams were fantastic. So, I stick to the brownish/amber/yellow range.

freeze69

Reaction score
if nothing else go and buy a pair of solar bats at wally-world. they run around $30 and my pair have lasted about 3-4yrs.

freeze69

Reaction score
The Full Creel said:
Yea... your probably safe in the $30 range.
only problem is though i'm looking for a better pair now. mine kind of get a double and sometimes a triple workout. wading, fishing in the boat, and usually driving to or from the water. time for a new pair.

Outdoorarki

Reaction score
I looked at walley world today and they didn't have any with amber lenses. I am going up to the Norfork river tomorrow till sun and I'll see what I can find at the fly shops.

Curtis

Reaction score
Maui Jim makes, bar none, the absolute best sunglasses on the market. I use them and sell them on Ebay. They are not cheap but they are the best.

burns

Reaction score
Maui Jim are great. I was recently at a Costco in Maui that had a nice selection at huge discounts.

I like Sea Strikers for around $30.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've had Maui Jims, but I actually like my Smith Drifters with copper lenses better. The contrast is better than the rose lenses on the Maui Jims.

I'd recommend watching ebay for discontinued models and such, I got a HE!! of a good deal on mine.

Fishstick

Reaction score
polarized a must. I never pay more that 15 bucks only because I seem to break or misplace them on a regular basis.....

Roughrider

Reaction score
I used to buy the cheapo polarized glasses and was always breaking them or losing them, but I got a pair of Action Optics from a really nice guy in Texas and it is amazing how good of care I take with them. Never put them down in a restaurant or put them on the seat of the truck to sit on. I tend to take much better care of them since they are a high quality pair. There is such a difference while on the water when comparing cheap glasses with quality glasses. I will always purchase the best polarized glasses from now on.

philthy

Reaction score
Amen on the quality. I got hooked on Serengetis for driving/flying and would never own anything else for those activities. I recently got a pair of Costa Del Mars and think they're pretty doggone good. My ears get kinda tired from being distorted by the frames, but the Costas were great on my trip with Roughrider a couple weeks back - and we were on the water for almost 10 hours. Trust me, when it comes to glasses, you really do get what you pay for.

tractman

Reaction score
What about us old geezers that have to wear regular glasses ??? Are there any that fir over my reading glasses ???
Thanks

Stan

ezamora

Reaction score
keep an eye out at local sporting goods stores. we have a sports authority in town and i picked up a $99 pair of yellow-green framed, polarized Bolles for $7.95 on clearance. my little girl loves them to see fish. i got a pair of discounted hobies with polarized glass copper lenses for $49.

i lose sunglasses like crazy, even though i sometimes use a leash. nothing lasts more than 4-6 months anyway so i cannot fathom spending $100 or more like i have in the past (i grew up wearing B&L raybans... and as a profssional photographer understand the value of good glass).

but still i do think the sunglasses sold in fishing places on the countertop turnstiles with the blue and silver tag labels are good. they sell for something like $25 and are polarized. the poly lenses scratch eventually but they never break and i consider them somewhat disposable in the end, say 3-4 months' time. i always have at least 2 pairs around...

eric
fresno, ca.

Fishstick

Reaction score
i lose sunglasses like crazy, even though i sometimes use a leash. nothing lasts more than 4-6 months anyway so i cannot fathom spending $100 or more like i have in the past (i grew up wearing B&L raybans... and as a profssional photographer understand the value of good glass).

eric
fresno, ca.
I know what your saying. At least every six months for me. My blues are so sensitive to sunlite that I practically live in sunglasses during all seasons so I lose, scratch or just plain destroy them frequently from use. I did fork out 40 bucks for a good pair of polars that stay in my fishing vest and I've had them for years. Guess that means I'm just not fishing enough. The one expensive pair of raybans that I did buy are currently sitting on the bottom of the Santa Ynez River and that happened on the first day that I had them.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
What about us old geezers that have to wear regular glasses ??? Are there any that fir over my reading glasses ???

Hi Stan,

Yes there are sun glasses that fit over you normal glasses. Some people really like them but I prefer prescription glasses. They are around $40 and I think there are two sizes. They do give a lot of protection and are good quality.

Cocoons Sunglasses

tractman

Reaction score
Thanks Frank, I wear prescription glasses that turn dark with the sun but they aren't polarized. I was thinking of something to wear over them..

Stan

Clemson

Reaction score
My $0.02: I went to Walmart and had their optical department put a set of polarized, bifocal lenses in my prescription in a regular set of Titanium frames. The frames are TiFlex, and they are light as a feather. I chose a small seg for the bifocals. I wanted to be able to see to tie on a fly, but I won't be reading in these glasses. I got a ten percent discount because I have BCBS insurance, even though the insurance has nothing at all to do with vision! Total cost was in the $215 dollar range.

The bottom line: The glasses are great, the polarization is excellent, and they have served me quite well for fishing and for driving. I got my prescription without clipons or wraparounds. I had checked internet pricing on name brands like RayBan, and they were uniformly $100-140 more than the Walmart glasses. I was able to get my optometrist to write out my prescription -- his price for the same thing bordered on laughable. Finally I have to state that it was my wife's idea to send my to Wally World for the specs. Who'd have thunk it?

This is not a great pic. I just laid the glasses down on my desk. The chums were not included, by the way!

Good luck!

Clemson

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
I prefer costa del mar. glass lenses blue mirror/grey tint. I fish lots of open water and sandy grassy flats. they work ok for low light conditions, but work the best in bright light. they are a little higher in the price column ($150-$200+). I prefer the glass over the plastic because they are a little more scratch resistant.

Costa Del Mar: See What's Out There...