Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: double pleasure

Blog Entries

Talking double pleasure

...I went fishing at last...as all the streams are very high I decided to have a try on a little free reservoir(fly only)In the morning I was alone and managed to catch three trout on little dry buzzer,walking around I found a place where I could see many trout,tried different flies but only missed two...at midday two cars arrived...a guy got out of one...he spoke loudly and was very excited,he told the other guys to get ready while he was calling on his cell phone.Then I heard him giving a lot of advice to the others just like he was a guide...he didn't even say hello to me.I decided to change tactics and fish with a little olive rabbit streamer...and caught a trout at second cast...the guy got more excited telling the others both dry and nymph on sight would be good. They went to a little island in the middle of the reservoir "the boss"made some comments on the other guy's casting and started double hauling like mad.After two hours he shouted"got one!!!"on nymph on sight guys..the others rushed to see the marvel...strange it's got red fins...but it's a roach.As for me in my little corner I had found the right fly and caught a good dozen bows which jumped noisily out of the waterAt three,I decided to stop fishing on my way back to my car I met the"learner" the "boss" had left alone struggling with his casting.I proposed to help him a little which he joyfully accepted,stood behind him holding the rod with him so that he could find the good tempo...after a few minutes it was better,I advised him to put a little dry instead of his streamer which made casting far less easy,good opportunity to show him how to tie an improved clinch knot easilyHe thanked me a lot and before I go he said: -
    _It looks like you had a good time and caught a good number of fish" _Yep,I caught some replied modestly
    _You see I'm a beginner...not like the guy over there... he told me he had caught forty trout here the other day.
    _But not today
    You may think I'm a bit weird...but I dont like this kind of loud mouthed guy...so catching those fish was twice more pleasant than usual

Default Re: double pleasure

Great story JP. A fish in hand is better than 40 fish in a tale!
    JJ

Blog Entries

Way to go JP,

I have seen a few experts on the rivers also. Like you I go quietly about my fishing even though the presence of experts is humbling I try to remain focused.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Under-promise / over-deliver - that's a hard combination to beat. Way to go, J-P!

Sounds like a tale that John Gierach would enjoy.

JP, I like the way you think...

Dan

Blog Entries

JP: That is the way to do it! You're the man!

Larry

good stuff jp
    its good too see guys like that humbled like that

Chris

Blog Entries

You handled that very well. Not turning a blind eye to the guy who really needed and wanted help was a good thing to do, hat is off to you.
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

Blog Entries

Glad you enjoyed my little reportthanks a lot for your kind replies guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast