Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backing color

Default Backing color

I've read in different places about certain colors of backing being used for certain situations. I've used flourescent orange and yellow.

Anyone have any preferences?
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

Default Re: Backing color

Hi Axel27,

I think the best color is the one that you can see the best. Being able to see your backing may give you a chance to miss coral heads or other obstacle in the water. If you have a lot of reels you might use the backing to determine if the line is a floating, sink tip or full sinking.

Frank

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    If you have a lot of reels you might use the backing to determine if the line is a floating, sink tip or full sinking.
    That is a darn good idea!

MP

4. Likes bwf liked this post

I am glad this question came up. I like the cool looking factor of brightly contrasting colors between backing and fly lines. I do not like plain whtie but that is all I have been able to find in Dacron line. I do not like the gel spun as it seems to dig into itself and jam up under the stress of a big fish and that can cause a disaster. I can not stand equipment failure when I am having fun.
    Does anyone have a source for brightly colored dacron backing? Frank's reasoning above is better than mine but I am being honest here....
    Dave Watts
    dmwphoto@mac.com

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.

^^^ I agree with MP. Since all my line to date is floating w/white backing I've got one color established. Great idea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dmwphoto View Post
    Does anyone have a source for brightly colored dacron backing?
    Cortland makes its dacron backing (Micron) in orange, yellow, and white. You can source it through an outfitter. I think Scientific Anglers and the other major brands have the same program.

Most shops sell one color of 20 pound test and another color for 30 pound test in the bulk spools. It's cheaper for them to stock.

MP

Blog Entries

Hi Axle,

I always spooled plain white 20 lb Cortland onto my small trout reels. This was done simply to fill the arbors on old Hardy Lightweight reels and CFO's. The full arbor allowed for quicker line retrieve and simply looked better than a not so full spool. When trout fishing only a few fish per year really got into the backing so color or weight did not seem to be an issue.

Big reels like the ones used for Great Lakes salmon and AK. salmon required heavier backing so I invested in a 1200 yard spool of yellow 36 lb Saltwater Cortland Micron for them. These reels often are un-spooled into the backing and the use of a high visibility line is always a benefit when trying to recover line and fish.

Regarding what Dave said about the gel spun backing; both of my Odyssey reels were spooled with orange gel spun 30 lb when I got them. I found that the material did exactly what Dave describes in that it became compressed and snarled into itself on the spool after having to bring fish in by reeling in the backing prior to recovering my line. I replaced it with the Cortland product. I have not had this happen using the 36 lb Micron.

In other words, I agree with the group.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

thanks MP
    Appreciate the info
    Dave Watts
    dmwphoto@mac.com

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.

Hi Everyone,

Another solution is to use Spectra braided line in the 50 or 65 pound rating. It is available in a few different colors. It is not cheap but will last for a long, long time. It will lose some of its color over time.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
    I've read in different places about certain colors of backing being used for certain situations. I've used flourescent orange and yellow.

Anyone have any preferences?
    You realize that all such mentions of backing on the Drake are completely joking, right?

The only reason I can see to fuss over backing is to make sure you have a contrasting color from your fly line (so its more obvious visually once you get into your backing) or if you have both clear floating and sinking lines, to differentiate which is which.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast