Arkansas' White River-

russellb

Reaction score
Hello all-

I made it down to one of my home waters yesterday a short drive into Arkansas. From my residence I have am blessed with several great rivers within a couple hours drive. One of these is the White River tailwater below Bull Shoals Dam. This river is also close (20 min) from another world class fishery- the Norfork River tailwater. Like many tailwater fisheries the river levels are subject to wild variations due to water releases from the dams. The White seems notorious for this as Bull Shoals dam is capable of releases of 26,400 cfs and I think they often meet that.

However, when the water gods sleep the river is tamed and you can have some of the most glorious fly fishing on this planet. The area in the photos is basically one side of a island, the river width on each side of the island is about 75 yards with a depth of about 2 to 4 ft. The water runs gin clear and is filled with rainbows, browns and cutthroats. For reference the several of the world record brown trout have come from these rivers with the current record of just over 40lbs coming from Arkansas' Little Red river down the road about an hour.

In this day we started by working the water with large bead head woolys fished on a downstream swing, searching the seems and drop offs or where the substrate shifted from gravel to bedrock. This technique produced scores of fish, mostly rainbows in the 14 inch range. As these fish grow up in the fast water they are very strong for their size and will rip line downstream.

Later in the afternoon the caddis hatch came off heavy enough to get the fish looking up. My best fish fell for a size 16 tan elk hair caddis and was a brown the measured a tad over 18 inches.

I got some cool photos of the water but I usually am not one to take many fish pictures although I really wanted one of the brown but my camera failed after the initial river shots, oh well there were witnesses and perhaps next time...

good flies this day- Size 16 Black/red snowcones, elk hair caddis, GRHE, size 14 BH olive woolies in slower water and size 8 in the fast runs.

Rods that really excel are 5 weights in 10 foot lengths- you have plenty of casting room and being able to pull off casts over 60ft and mend a massive amount of line will help cover a lot of water with the wooly in the classic swing. 4 and 5X tippets meet most needs.

Davo

Reaction score

mtbrider405

Reaction score
Hey Russell, great looking photos! Your post is getting my excited because my wife and I are there in the middle of May. We will be staying just south of Flippin, right on the water!

I can't wait! I am hoping they won't be generating like crazy nut we'll see.

Taking the 5wt and I will plan to have plenty of size 8 and 14 Woolies. Any other recommendations for mid May? What time of the day were you most successful?

Thanks,
Jason

russellb

Reaction score

Davo

Reaction score
Thanks! I guess down here the recorded being bested in 09 didn't get much coverage.....:rolleyes: Either way those are both some big A-- trout! :D
russell

The Arkansas record held few a while and I'm sure those waters can produce more!!

russellb

Reaction score
Hey Russell, great looking photos! Your post is getting my excited because my wife and I are there in the middle of May. We will be staying just south of Flippin, right on the water!

I can't wait! I am hoping they won't be generating like crazy nut we'll see.

Taking the 5wt and I will plan to have plenty of size 8 and 14 Woolies. Any other recommendations for mid May? What time of the day were you most successful?

Thanks,
Jason
Hello Jason-

Water levels are the name of the game but you have two rivers close by to fish. Go here- swpa.gov for a schedule of water releases, they will tell you around 5pm what they will do the next day. Flies that produce are the BH woolys, scuds and sow bugs in 16/18 in grey, red @ss soft hackles, elk hair caddis, zebra midges, GRHEs. As for colors of woolys, olive works great but also brown, especially on the White as the gravel is brown and the resident sculpins are often the same color of the gravel.

I prefer to navigate the Norfork by kayak as the amount of access areas are fewer. The White OTOH has plenty of great points of access, the photos are of Rim shoals but Wildcat and Roundhouse shoals produce lots of fish. Certainly right below the dam is good fishing but the crowds can get thicker.

To get to some great fishing, go to Rim shoals and park in the lower parking lot and walk the railroad tracks downstream for about a mile. You will see a long very skinny rock island in the middle of the river this is White shoals. Most people don't walk this far down and once here you can fish your way back to the parking lot. This is what I did yesterday and I simply got tired of catching fish about 3 quarters of the way back and reeled in. PM me if you want more info, I'll give you my cell number.

ddombos2

Reaction score
Russell,

Don't be scared of generation. If you have access to a boat, that is a great time to float the White and bang the banks with streamers. Jeremy Hunt at Flies & Guides guided me two days last December. It was worth every penny.

If you search my posting history, you'll find my report in the Cold Water Fishing Section of this forum.

russellb

Reaction score
Russell,

Don't be scared of generation. If you have access to a boat, that is a great time to float the White and bang the banks with streamers. Jeremy Hunt at Flies & Guides guided me two days last December. It was worth every penny.

If you search my posting history, you'll find my report in the Cold Water Fishing Section of this forum.
Absolutely, very good fishing with streamers during high water. I'm considering a boat purchase for just that reason:thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

a few lower water patterns-

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow Russel,

Is it always that lonely! Beautiful water and no crowd of people marching around the river, wish I had been there with you.

Ard

russellb

Reaction score
Wow Russel,

Is it always that lonely! Beautiful water and no crowd of people marching around the river, wish I had been there with you.

Ard
It can get busy at times, today on this 2 mile stretch there was 2 guys that passed through in pontoons and including the three in my party there was a total of six rods on the river wading fishing. Twenty years ago I would have been mad to see that many on a weekday!!! Yeah, it's pretty cool.....

russellb

Reaction score
Yeah, for much of the day I wandered downstream and literally had the river to myself, I could pick and choose any place I wanted. This made up for a couple weeks ago when I fished and floated the Norfork. The river was packed with people, it was crazy. I still caught loads of fish and as a result of people in my usual haunts I fished some water I always just floated over. It was actually pretty cool to discover new water that I will return to.

jcw355

Reaction score
I wish I lived closer to those rivers, fished the White and Norfolk back in February. I did pretty good, no real big ones but had good numbers. No generation while I was there.

lancer09

Reaction score
I know we exchanged PM's about this a while back, Im really looking forward to the trip i'm going to try and take down there this summer when I can find a free weekend. Is the night fishing productive at all for some of those big browns do you know?

russellb

Reaction score
I know we exchanged PM's about this a while back, Im really looking forward to the trip i'm going to try and take down there this summer when I can find a free weekend. Is the night fishing productive at all for some of those big browns do you know?
I'm sure that many do, I spent my night fishing days on Taneycomo as it is only half the drive, but that was years ago. These days I don't do much night fishing but the guys at the local fly shop spend a ton of time at night on Taney, I'll see if they go further south to the White. In fact, they have come up with a little streamer that is made entirely out of dubbing applied in a dubbing loop. The dubbing is a pretty cool green flash and black angora blend, I'll tie a fly up and post a pic over the next few days. The night fishing crew swears by this pattern as "the" nighttime fly.

Vans

Reaction score
I assume that this is the river the the fly shop inside a Bass Pro Shops store gets its name from?

russellb

Reaction score
I assume that this is the river the the fly shop inside a Bass Pro Shops store gets its name from?
Along those lines- yes. Bass Pro Shops started out when John Morris sold some bass fishing tackle in one of his dad's liquor stores in Springfield Mo. The chain of lakes that is renowned for bass fishing is formed by a series of dams on the White river. This river begins in the mountains of northwestern Arkansas and flows north into southern Missouri and eventually back into Arkansas below Bull Shoals dam. Often locals will refer to the short river stretches that are below each dams as the White River but it is the White below Bull Shoals dam that the river returns to a more normal state and is not dammed until Calico Rock Ar, where it actually has a lock.

My guess is the shop was named for the system as a whole and the bounty of diverse fishing that it has provided this region rather than a particular stretch.

russellb

Reaction score
I bounce between BP and Baxkcountry for tying materials and tackle. For big stuff like rods and reels I mostly buy from Reading's up by Bennett. I've known Charlie for around 25 years and he usually treats me pretty good.