What's one new thing you'll learn?

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
What is one new thing you will learn how to do this fly season? Last year was the first time i'd ever tried really fishing nymphs with weight added to the line. that is going to be my focus this year. how about everybody else?

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

i'd like to add to mine. i've never tried fishing a wet fly before either, so that might be a new experience.

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a learning curve, experimenting with multi-fly rigs. In B.C. where I grew up I could only use one fly, now after many years of this it is a new experience that I need to improve on.....Kerry:)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Within the last few days the ice has broken up in the large river coves which to me signals the beginning of the pre-spawn pike season.
So right now I got northern pike on the brain.
A short term goal is to learn a few new places. Hopefully spots where I can wade before flood season begins.
I wasn't able to fish yesterday, but I did check out a couple of new places that look promising.

Later in the season, I think I'd like to spend more time sight fishing. Not just on the salt water flats and in the surf, but on the local river's flats for carp

Bigfly

Reaction score
Kerry,SDF, That is why I enjoy this sport. Unlimited learning.
My "jones" right now is the switch rod thing, A whole new set of casts, mends.
That, and getting to fish I couldn't reach before. Gotta love it!

Jim

Jimmie

Reaction score
#1: Recognizing strikes indications then setting the hook more timely, and in the right direction.
#2: BUT, I need work on it all.
distance
high sticking
etc

bekiu002

Reaction score
Really show that double haul who is boss, I am sick and tired of it laughing at me and calling me hurtful names.
Cabot

Jackster

Reaction score
Since I probably won't be fishing much this year, I would like to learn the most effective ways to teach others how to fly fish.

okay... I'll fess up and say I want to learn to do a graceful and repeatable overhead curve cast to the rod hand side.

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Since this is my first season fly fishing my goal is... wait for it... wait... to learn how to effectively catch fish. 5 trips out and one fish... I've got a lot to learn :D

- Justin

colotrout

Reaction score
This will be my second season fly fishing for trout here in northern Colorado. I did manage to get out quite a bit my first season as well as several times during winter so I feel like I learned a lot but at the same time feel so ignorant. You know, the more you know the more you know you don't know.

Goals for next season:
1) Learn to read hatches
2) Get skunked less often (just did today on the Poudre :( )
3) Double haul cast
4) Tying dries

I think I am going to splurge this year and get myself a day with a guide.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I have never handled the oars of a drift boat. For 2010, I want to learn how to navigate a one. I have many friends who have them, and some of them hardly take their boats out because they spend all the time rowing. It would be a good trade for me to learn, so they could get more time fishing. That would be a win win situation.

I have been rowing pontoon boats for several years now. I just need to learn the nuances of the drift boat.

MP

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I had a very good year for learning last year. Learned to spey cast, (snap-T, double spey, snake roll, jelly roll, and wombat cast and put them out over 100 feet every time ) figured out to set married wings on flies right pretty much every time, and stack deer hair ( not the in the stacker, but flaired in color patterns ). I learned all of it watching videos. This year I'm not sure what I'll learn, because I didn't really plan to learn all of that last year. I would like to learn to dye hair and not wreck the leather. That one is kicking my butt. I can get the leather to come out one way, but the hair is nowhere near what I want. If the hair turns out, the leather either falls apart or turns thin and brittle like a dang potato chip. If things go as well for me with fly fishing this as last, it will be good year. Can't wat to see what I learn.

katorade

Reaction score
I want to learn what musky patterns work that I have tied.
What works in the winter, and to find that size 20 or smaller fly catches fish.

jcw355

Reaction score
Well I tend to get sloppy casting, so I need to be more mindful about technique and improve my nymphing skills.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The one area I want to work on this year is sight fishing, in other words sighting the fish before casting.

MP: Learning to row a drift boat will make you more valuable to your friends in that you can share the rowing duties. Both Hyde and Clacka have DVD's on basic rowing and Dennis Breer made a DVD called Drift Boat Fishing 101 that gives some pretty good tips on rowing.

Larry

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The one area I want to work on this year is sight fishing, in other words sighting the fish before casting.

And after casting Larry....to see the fish taking your nymph;)it's such a great pleasure my friend Batistou calls it" halieutic orgasm":D:D

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Don't know what I will learn...but I'm sure I'll learn something...flyfishing is a neverending learning;)

raindogt

Reaction score
It hasn't been mentioned, but I am working on 'goofy-handed' casting. ie.-- switching rod and line hands-- I've been in a number of situations-- (wind, obstructions, that side of the boat....) where ambidexterity would be handy.

Also, would like to learn some of the single-hand spey type casts....

wjc

Reaction score
Raindog,

Those are exactly the same two things I am hoping to do! Practice left-handed to the point where I will actually use it fishing, and learn a bit about single handed spey.

I was out in the field a couple days ago practicing left handed after aggravatinig my right forearm muscle again. My backcast is pretty weak with that arm, and the haul feels totally spaztic.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Jim

flytyer_neal

Reaction score
To fish more dries......I'm a nymph / streamer guy......so I have been working on the vise.....and Can't wait for hatches...and that dang spring run off to get over.....