Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What fly was your first Trout caught on?

Around a 12'' rainbow on a size 12 olive woolly bugger. When in doubt throw a bugger.
    Cabot

2. Default Re: What fly was your first Trout caught on?

mine was an 18" brown on a size 16 prince nymph i am still surprised i landed that monster.

WoW" the first time i went flyfishing. I fished for 3-4hrs casting, I think i tied on every dry fly in the box.In the end i was walking back up river like a wiped dog, I didn't know i was draging my fly throuh the riffles, and wam i felt the fish jump, man he was about 4" long if that. But i tell you i felt better catching him than any fish i ever couth. It was the start of a great passion. Buy the way the fly was a small elkhair caddis.

Talking Re: What fly was your first Trout caught on?

Jeez.. you do have to tap the memory bank for this one. I gave myself a headache thinkin about it but I do remember. My first trout was a rainbow in a creek..believe it or not with a imitation of a grasshopper. Like shootin fish in a barrel LOL..

i remember like it was just yesterday......... i was on the Mackenzie river. I was fishing with a orange stimi. As i was stripping in for another cast a good size trout took it. first fish i ever caught took only 5 months

it was 30 years ago.....on a small stream in calif. .....a mosquito tied by my mom.
    if I'm not here...I'm on another line...with a fly on the end..

A funny little white marabou jig head thing-- size 8. 14" stocker bow in a lake-- don't pursue the stockers in the local lake much, anymore... Haven't looked for a trout in 2 years.

they actually just stocked again a last week (I think...)--might have to give 'er another shot, soon.

//edit/// and Neal, I once caught a fruit bat with a mosquito pattern... :biggrin (no joke. took my back cast-- I don't know if I 'caught' him or just happened to 'snag' him during presentation cast.... didn't strip him in to find out, just cut the fly line-- not worth risking whatever disease those nasty things harbor....)

it was a 10-12in rainbow at bear lake on a elk hair caddis

must have caught 10 fish that day

and was hooked for life

More than 40 years ago I worked a couple of summers at a Boy Scout camp as a counselor, and for a couple of weeks one of my jobs was to help take scout troops on a 4 day float trip down the Current river - started just below Missouri's Montauk State Park. I caught my first trout on my first fly rod/reel that summer on an olive wooly bugger (size? - who knows); cooked it over an open campfire and ate it for dinner - absolutely delicious! (beat the heck out of the dehydrated stuff the scouts were eating!)

First fish on a fly was a 12 inch rainbow on a muddler minnow swinging in the current on the snake river in Idaho. First fish on a fly I tied was a 16 inch rainbow on the Truckee caught on a wooly sculpin (a wooly bugger with rabbit zonker wings). I have a picture of this one on the wall. The original muddler minnow rides in my fishing hat.

d

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast