What fly was your first Trout caught on?

mrfzx

Reaction score
The most recent thread by "luked" made me remember my first fly caught trout. It was a smallish, about 10 inches long, rainbow. I caught it on a local fly pattern called a Hellcat. A steamer with a tiny brass propeller on the front. It was tied by the man who that very summer introduced me to tying. He was the grandfather of my best friend. He's gone now, and his grandson and I have drifted apart, but the lessons he taught me remain.....as do the Hellcats!

What was your first fly-caught trout pattern?

luked

Reaction score
since mine was jsut this weekend its easy to remember...and probably always will be.....Red Copper john tied by myself

futuramille

Reaction score
Congratulations Luked!!!! :thmbup:

...hopper imitation got my first rainbow in Rocky mountain National park, Colorado. I think it was 1977 and I was 12yo...same age as my son now who last summer caught his first trout on a GRHE...a nice little brown.

mrfzx

Reaction score
Very cool futuramille. I was only 10 when i caught my first. I wish i had a son to pass it on to, but I am doing what I can. Wednesday evening I am giving a presentation to the local boy scout troop on fly fishing and tying. Maybe I can start a few of them out if I'm lucky.

Oh, I added my favorite saying....I hope its not too demeaning....I mean it to no one in particular.

boser

Reaction score
I know you probably wont believe me but my first Trout was caught on a Elk Hair Caddis....for some reason they just really hit that Fly hard on that day....

Regards, Boser

fyshstykr

Reaction score
A plain ol' Wolly Worm, grizzley hackle with a red yarn butt.
Caught a lot of fysh on that pattern back then. $$$ says it would work well today too.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Pheasant Tail Nymph
Just a little bitty brown. I couldn't believe that it took a fly that big. Seems it was approx. #14.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
As I said in the other thread like this, it was a cheap K-Mart fly I have never found an name for. It was a dry fly with red hackle tail, a silver tinsel body, white wings (slips tied upright) , and a teal blue hackle (tied before and possibly after the wings). I'm not sure if it was meant to be a wet or dry fly, but I used it as a dry. I still remember it like it was yesterday, the fly only drifted 4 or 5 feet before this fat football of a Brook Trout came up and smashed the fly. If anyone knows the name of that fly I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Up till now I've just called it "some cheap Chinese fly".:confused:

bekiu002

Reaction score
Around a 12'' rainbow on a size 12 olive woolly bugger. When in doubt throw a bugger.
Cabot

ab fisher

Reaction score
mine was an 18" brown on a size 16 prince nymph i am still surprised i landed that monster.

hunter1

Reaction score
WoW" the first time i went flyfishing. I fished for 3-4hrs casting, I think i tied on every dry fly in the box.In the end i was walking back up river like a wiped dog, I didn't know i was draging my fly throuh the riffles, and wam i felt the fish jump, man he was about 4" long if that. But i tell you i felt better catching him than any fish i ever couth. It was the start of a great passion. Buy the way the fly was a small elkhair caddis.

spanish_fly

Reaction score
Jeez.. you do have to tap the memory bank for this one. I gave myself a headache thinkin about it but I do remember. My first trout was a rainbow in a creek..believe it or not with a imitation of a grasshopper. Like shootin fish in a barrel LOL..:D

thonyb

Reaction score
i remember like it was just yesterday......... i was on the Mackenzie river. I was fishing with a orange stimi. As i was stripping in for another cast a good size trout took it. first fish i ever caught took only 5 months:)

raindogt

Reaction score
A funny little white marabou jig head thing-- size 8. 14" stocker bow in a lake-- don't pursue the stockers in the local lake much, anymore... Haven't looked for a trout in 2 years.

they actually just stocked again a last week (I think...)--might have to give 'er another shot, soon.

//edit/// and Neal, I once caught a fruit bat with a mosquito pattern... :biggrin (no joke. took my back cast-- I don't know if I 'caught' him or just happened to 'snag' him during presentation cast.... didn't strip him in to find out, just cut the fly line-- not worth risking whatever disease those nasty things harbor....)

catfish

Reaction score
it was a 10-12in rainbow at bear lake on a elk hair caddis

must have caught 10 fish that day

and was hooked for life:D

Brewmaster

Reaction score
More than 40 years ago I worked a couple of summers at a Boy Scout camp as a counselor, and for a couple of weeks one of my jobs was to help take scout troops on a 4 day float trip down the Current river - started just below Missouri's Montauk State Park. I caught my first trout on my first fly rod/reel that summer on an olive wooly bugger (size? - who knows); cooked it over an open campfire and ate it for dinner - absolutely delicious! (beat the heck out of the dehydrated stuff the scouts were eating!) :biggrin:

webrx

Reaction score
First fish on a fly was a 12 inch rainbow on a muddler minnow swinging in the current on the snake river in Idaho. First fish on a fly I tied was a 16 inch rainbow on the Truckee caught on a wooly sculpin (a wooly bugger with rabbit zonker wings). I have a picture of this one on the wall. The original muddler minnow rides in my fishing hat.

d