Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Fishing in cloudy/rainy weather

Of course the wknd I've had marked on my calendar for a trip forecast is calling for rain everyday leading up to the wknd. Looks like we might actually get somewhat of a break on Saturday.

We were originally planning on starting out on a small mtn stream but seeing as how it's gonna rain for 4 days straight not sure if that's the best strategy.

What are some general tips/tricks you have found effective in high rivers/cloudy days? This will be in Western North Carolina by the way.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fishing in cloudy/rainy weather

Quote Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
    What are some general tips/tricks you have found effective in high rivers/cloudy days?
    I tend to work the edges of the stream more. When flows get up and the water is off color, fish will move closer to the shoreline where the water is clearer and not as fast.

MP

Blog Entries

A couple of weeks ago I was out on a southern Alberta stream fishing. It was a bit slow, but all of a sudden the water level picked up and it went from crystal clear to slightly stained. The fishing picked up right away and we took seven trout out of stingey pool.
    I think it lowered the visibility, maybe a bit more food but I sort of doubt that. The temperature didn't change much either so I am pretty sure visability was the key.
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

Any Tailwaters close by?

Yeah tailwaters are the backup plan.

6. Default Re: Fishing in cloudy/rainy weather

Fishing can still be very good. You need to work the current seams with food items that are routinely washed off their perch by the the swift water. Here in CO that's San Juan worms, stone flies, cranefly larva and egg pattern in season. You need to find out what the food items are for the area your fishing.

I had one of my best top water day's in a rain storm with the only 3 elk hair caddis..

Just dress for the occation and be safe..