Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: In need of inexpensive fly tying kits

Default In need of inexpensive fly tying kits

HELP! The local boy scout troop wants me to give a series of lessons on fly tying. That's great! Each boy needs a beginners kit, and the most inexpensive I have found is at the $40 price point. That is a bit prohibitive to many of the boy's families, times are tough here. Can anybody help me find some less expensive beginnier kits, maybe up to 25 of them?
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Default Re: In need of inexpensive fly tying kits

I've been reading up on the merit badge requirements and I think you could go a different route than outfitting each boy all the gear needed.
    First of all, I'd round up some volunteers from a local fly club and have them bring vices and tools. Many guys have two or more vices so they could mentor more than one tying station at a time.
    A single instructor and perhaps 1 mentor for every 4 scouts would do it
    Second of all, I'd split the scouts into groups.
    While one group is tying, another would be watching an instructional video, or practicing knots, or working on casting.
    The merit badge tying requirement is for each scout to tie 2 flies. Shelling out big bucks to supply numbers of tying kits would likely be excessive in most boy's cases.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I would say you could possibly put something together yourself for cheaper but $40 isn't bad. Where is that $40 kit actually?

The Cabela's standard tool kit is on sale right now for 19.99. I took a tying class at Cabela's and this is what they provided for those who didn't have a vice or tools. I didn't personally use one but no one seemed to have a problem with them.
    Cabela's Standard Fly Tying Tool Kit

Cabot

Thank you all....great advice. Unfortunately we don't have any local fly tying clubs per se, but I will contact the local chapter of TU to seek volunteers. I looked at Cabela's web site and didn't see that deal.....thanks for pointing it out.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Hi mrfzx,

It looks like you have the tools covered but you still need materials. Before you buy those tools from Cabelas I would call their office and tell them what you are doing and see if they can't help you out with the price. Ask for materials to tie at least two flies. You might even ask Cabela's to start selling a Scout kit that they only sell to Scout Organizations at a good price.

If that doesn't work contact Feather-Craft and see if they won't work with you on the materials. Ask for materials to tie the Crackle Back fly. The Crackle Back was Ed Story's baby. I bet they will help you out for the Scouts.

Another thing to consider is to get the Scout organization to buy four or so sets of tools and then keep them for future classes. Once you have the tools it won't cost much for materials for future classes.

Frank

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Hi mrfzx,

I just sent an Email from Fish&Fly to Cabelas asking about the possibility of selling a Fly Tying Kit to just Boy Scouts. I will let you know what they say.

Frank

Blog Entries

I think Frank and RipTide have the right direction.
    The TU Chapter may have a few folks who are willing to come and teach and the Scouts could probably look at buying a few vises. This should not cost you hundreds of dollars, there should be some help through the Scouting program to supply some equipment for the badge. I taught a rod building class to Scouts some years back and they supplied all their own money so that I could pick up all the materials they needed, then I taught the course.....Kerry
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

Frank, the idea of a "scout kit" is awesome. I hope they go for it. I did get in touch with them and they offered me up to a 25% discount depending on the items requested. I will call the local TU president tonight and see what he says. I'll bet dollars to donuts they help. I think I'll contact my local Jaycees group too ( I was a Jaycee, now I'm and "exhausted rooster" LOL). They often help out the scouts.

Great advice guys, thanks for sharing!
    Homer

Blog Entries

Another idea might be ebay. I've bought tools off of there that were cheaper than the shops around me and that included shipping. The sellers also tend to have bulk discounts, so you might be able to get away a little cheaper.

Ant

The portable kit out of the Cabela's catalog that several people have mentioned is great. $19.99. I bought one a few years ago and it is all I use. It opens up to create it's own little stand. Comes with all the tools you need. I have other set ups that attach directly to my bench, but I always find myself using this one. All tools fit in it and it closes up and latches into a nice little box. I don't recall seeing anything cheaper and it certainly works well.